Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After our last dog passed, my wife and I promised we wouldn't have any more dogs! But in our heart of hearts we both knew if the right dog came along we'd take him/her in.

Here's our big baby and friend Suzy who was a homeless dog that someone had dumped. She's the best dog we've ever had. She's an American Pitbull Terrier and weigh's in over 100 pounds.
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7245/friendss011.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dog Rules!

1. The dog is not allowed in the house.
2. Okay, the dog is allowed in the house, but only in certain rooms.
3. The dog is allowed in all rooms, but has to stay off the furniture.
4. The dog can get on the old furniture only.
5. Fine, the dog is allowed on all the furniture, but is not allowed to sleep with humans on the bed.
6. Okay, the dog is allowed on the bed, but only by invitation.
7. The dog can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but not under the covers.
8. The dog can sleep under the covers by invitation only.
9. The dog can sleep under the covers every night.
10. Humans must ask permission to sleep under the covers with the dog!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's beautiful. :)

Thank you, she's the sweetest dog we've ever had and of course all of us dog owners think we have an Einstein for a pet! I might add... she's totally spoiled which is our fault not hers, but she still seems very grateful for what ever we do for her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice looking dog.My 3 yr old Chow is our best friend,we call him our 2nd son.Sounds like your dog rules are alot like ours.My dog is one of the main reasons we bought our new to us MH.Now he can go where we go and we don't have to worry about him being a problem while we are visiting as he will have his own space.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice looking dog.My 3 yr old Chow is our best friend,we call him our 2nd son.Sounds like your dog rules are alot like ours.My dog is one of the main reasons we bought our new to us MH.Now he can go where we go and we don't have to worry about him being a problem while we are visiting as he will have his own space.
I prefer larger dogs and really not that fond of those little yappers! The Chow is a decendent of the Black Wolf Family that came from northern Asia. We have a few coy-dogs in my area. Half Coyote and half domestic. The wolf (brother wolf) and Coyote (the trickster) can make good domestic pets but you have to start handling them within the first two weeks following birth or they will maintain more of their wild behavior.

We have a wolf preserve that I do some volunteer work for up here in the higher elevations (cooler temperatures). These are grey wolves brought down from Alaska to our location and then we transplant them into our National parks such as Yellowstone. A few years back there was a Coyote problem in Yellowstone but with the re-introduction of the wolf into Yellowstone, the Yote's are under control again.

Two of my favorite subjects; talking dogs and talking guns (exterior ballistics)!

Thank you for your thoughtful post.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brother Wolf and the Trickster:

Indian Folklore. Coyote the Trickster.
Above all other things, the Coyote is a trickster, an outlaw. He is a devil of sorts in his approach to nature. Modern and ancient people alike tell their stories of Coyote the eternal trickster. However, the Coyote is beloved by people dispite his nature.

Wendy Rose, a Hopi (Hopi Nation), wrote this short poem about Coyote the Trickster:
Trickster turns to wind.
Trickster turns to sand.
Trickster leaves us groping.

Coyote, Indian Folklore:

One day a feather fell from the sky.
An eagle saw it.
A deer heard it fall.
And a bear later smelled it.
Only the Coyote saw, heard and smelled that feather all at the same time.

Coyotes can locate the direction of a sound to within one degree at any distance from which the coyote can hear it. For example, at one mile, the Coyote knows where the sound is coming from to within 90 feet. At 100 yards, the coyote can pinpoint the sound to within five feet. Few other critters are blessed with better senses than 'Ol Wily' Coyote.

Brother Wolf. Indian Folklore.

The wolf legends of the Native American people show that the Wolf was revered. Probably because of their devotion to their family and their pack devotion which parallels the Indian to his tribe. Because the Native people defended territory, and hunted and killed to survive, they admired the Wolve's prowess in doing so. The wolf's survival skills spawned many Indian legends.

Brother Wolf.
By Grandmother 'Two Bears.'

From times long gone, the Indian has always looked upon himself as one with the natural world, and in particular, the Wolf, whose innate intelligence closely resembles man's.
Early on, the Indian recognized his brother's exceptional ability to survive in the wilderness, and set out to closely study the Wolf's hunting habits. The more time spent in observing his brother, the closer their bond became, and soon, many of the Wolf's other characteristics unconsciously became imbued in the Indian himself.
The Indian could, like the wolf, appear and disappear, among others, without being seen, and the Indian's long staring glance, otherwise seen only in Wolve's made their kinship a certainty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful dogs. I'll bet Brewster's got the biggest appetite in the campgrounds!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts