Camper Community Forums banner

What do you suggest for staying warm while popup camping in below freezing weather.

• Buy a small space heater.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Use electric blankets.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Use a space heater and an electric blanket and hope it doesn't blow a fuse.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Start training during the cold PA nights to toughen up and withstand the cold. ;)

Votes: 2 11.8%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I could ask this of my fellow Disney freaks and I don't think I could get an objective opinion (Yeah... the best advise I get from them is to reserve a hotel)... but from my fellow campers I am sure to get some onbiased opinions right? :rotflmao1:

I am staying at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground inside Walt Disney World Resort in January.

I know that a lot of you campers have hybrid travel trailers (The campers with the fold down beds on the ends for those that don't know) and some of you have popups.

It is Florida in January so the weather can be VERY unpredictable.

Please vote on what you think is my best option to be prepared incase the weather is below freezing... and elaborate on why you feel that way with a comment!

Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
To avoid the breaker tripping you can plug the electric blanket and space heater into separate circuits (20 amp versus 15 amp). An alternative is a heavy duty 15 amp extension cord that you can plug directly into the CG post.

Hope this helps.

Ruide

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Heruide!!!

I have never actually camped at a site with "hook ups" before. I am a tent girl through and through... but for this trip I need a camper, so I am renting it.

We may not even encounter a cold night... but we need to be prepared!

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
It didn't even register with me earlier that you were renting a popup!

If you have a space heater and a fan to blow the warm air into the bedrooms, you will be fine.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh... that's okay... I don't think I said so in my first post!

I am amazed at all the more it costs to rent a popup. I couldn't tow one down to Florida for what I can rent it for!!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks Heruide!!!

I have never actually camped at a site with "hook ups" before. I am a tent girl through and through... but for this trip I need a camper, so I am renting it.

We may not even encounter a cold night... but we need to be prepared!
You are welcome. Actually, you should be in great shape. Your camper should have its own furnace. The real problem is that the thermostat that RV companies install are pretty basic and in some cases you can't adjust it... i.e., it is either too hot or too cold. However, they can be effective in taking off the chill in the morning. Just make sure you don't over use it and run out of propane :smack-head:.

Happy camping.

Ruide

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thats right, your camper should have a furnace, therefore mixed with electric blankets, you should be setup nicely. The weather there can be unpredictable, but could also be in your favor, which is what we will hope for.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We used a couple small space saving heaters last fall in our TT. Worked nice and didn't really need to run the furnace, unless the temp got into the 30's.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I should have mentioned that the popup doesn't have a furnace. Which is why I need to know what to do if it gets cold.

I would just tent camp, except that my 16 year old sister is coming and possibly bringing a 16-17 year old girlfriend.

With 5 of us to feed at Disney prices, I thought the kitchen in the camper would help my budget A LOT!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Average lows for Orlando in January is 50 deg. If it did happen to drop down into the 30s or lower a space heater isn't going to do you any good unless you plan to take a industrial grade salamander heater, I would go with the Electric Blanket and keep a good supply of firewood on hand for any nippy mornings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts