Camper Community Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19 foot travel trailer and currently tow it with a Ram 1500 4x4. Gas mileage is terrible with it, about 8 MPG towing. I am thinking about getting a diesel next year, not sure which one I want. I really like the Ford F250. Any thoughts out there? I want good mileage, reliability, and comfort.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I started out with a RAM 1500, 1/2 ton, pulling a 30 Ft 5th wheel. Of course I didn't do my research and listened to the RV dealer and he stated that my truck was more than enough. I knew that it wasn't 'more' than enough, but figured it would be ok, since it was a 5th wheeler. After pulling the camper a few trips and realizing that there were more exciting things to do while going down the road other than make sure there was a gas station in the next 50 miles, I traded in the 1500 and went with a Ram 3/4 ton 2500, with a 5.9 cummins. The best move I ever made. Not only did I more than double my pulling MPG from 6-8 mpg with the 1500, to 13-15 mpg with the 2500 diesel, I also have more then enough power to pull my now 37 ft 5th wheel. I sometimes wish I would have went ahead and got the 3500, but I don't regret the non-pulling 23 mpg I get when I drive to work.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The F250 is really nice. I'm a Ford guy myself. Both my grandfather and my dad worked for Ford as I once did. My wife works there now. We pull with our 2006 Ford Explorer. It does a really good job but the milage sucks. I think diesel is the way to go. I hear Ford is coming out with a F150 deisel for 2009. I'll wait to see the numbers on that one.

·
Registered
429 Posts
really, never heard of the f150 diesel, have to look into that. the F250 king ranch is super nice

·
Registered
735 Posts
http://www.fordf150.net/2009/
Here on this site they've been talking alot about the new 2009 F150 and what to expect. It looks like it'll be a winner.
I really like the 250 and the 350 Super Duty. Looks real sharp.

·
Registered
429 Posts
very interesting, didnt have a clue that was in the works. heard anything about the mpg on this

·
Registered
735 Posts
I haven't seen anything yet and I wouldn't expect anything until next year some time. That being said, I would guess it would be about the same as the F250 or better.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Now that's nice! Sorry glfortner, after your husband sees this, I'm afraid there will be a lot of talk of a new truck. I know there will be in my house.

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is the husband, why do you think i chimed in so quickly :10220:
All i want is for the family to be comfortable and have plenty of room while traveling.

·
Registered
735 Posts
AAAHHHHH! Sorry about the toy truck thing.....LOL. It would be a funny gag gift though. I can't believe I didn't make that connection! Any how......Sure is a nice truck!

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey no problem, i know my wife, she has probably already thought about doing something like that, would be too suprised if santa got me a nice king ranch, that i have to wind up :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'll take a super duty with a plow on the front it right now. I wouldn't mind plowing my driveway in a nice warm truck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Todd, what is the gas mileage you get on that "OLD" dodge RAM. :dead:
Time to get with the program and purchase NEW :10220:

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when towing i get between 7 and 8 MPG, depending on speed and terrain.

I would love to purchase new, however the wife got a new van, so daddy is left out in the cold.

However, I am accepting donations currently to the "I need an F250 truck fund"

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh no!! The boss is following you around again. :whip:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I was just at this site and they have photos of the new 2009 Ford F150. Looks pretty good. check it out.
http://www.fordf150.net/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts