Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring season is in full force here in Maine USA, and that means the black-flies are getting thick enough to carry off a moose. ;)
so, with whatever style camping you like best, what is you favorite way of deterring the "vampire" bugs?

I used to use a product called Ben's 100 (99.9% DEET), but when i got a chemical burn under my watch, i use just products with "normal" levels of DEET in them, like Deep Woods OFF.

·
Registered
319 Posts
...I moved here primarily for a reason; there are minimal biting insects...
In August the biting flies come out but an electric fly swatter is an entertaining way to do them in...
To kill tiny vampires off, in the tent; I use a small bug zapper for 15 minutes or so before crawling into the bag.
Product Gas Motor vehicle Machine Bag

I think I have part of a spray bottle of noxious bug chemicals around some where; but I haven't seen it in years.
... as I remember; whey your lips get numb; you have almost applied enough... to induce nerve damage and dissuade the bugs...

Enjoy!

Reactions: travis.farmer

·
Registered
319 Posts
A thought; one of my friends from waaay down south always recommended Cajun food; to help keep the tiny vampires at bay...

I like the food... but never ran any tests to see if the bugs don't...

...When I lived in Illinois I bought two large bug zappers and gave them to my neighbors, on both sides; that way my skeeters could be attracted to their houses...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Around here (Colorado) August (which is coming) is the start of biting fly season...
A not entirely serious (but somewhat, temporarily, entertaining) way to deal with the Biting Buggers (... no mercy; fry 'em) is a racket shaped battery powered electric fly swatter;
Audio equipment Technology Font Electric blue Circle

I bought one as a gag, from harbor freight some years ago and found that they actually work (powered by alkaline batteries that you supply; D cells I think).
(...don't test it by inserting fingers; it gives a painful bite itself).

Enjoy!

Reactions: travis.farmer
1 - 5 of 5 Posts