Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this is a call out to all members, what can we do? it is a little slow around here...
I will keep posting my posts, even though nobody responds, if even to give people something to read. ;)
i have posted to other forums, and on Facebook, but still a little slow. do what you can to promote this forum, and i will continue to do what i can.
i have sent messages to the Admin about some SPAM posts, but they have been ignored, completely. i would love to take on the role of moderator, or assistant admin, without pay, to help get rid of the SPAM, and also to help with promoting the forum in any way i can.

the thoughts of others is encouraged here, and i would love to know what else can be done? i am not willing to just let this forum die!

~Travis

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Admins have heard my calls, and have promoted me to Super Moderator. :)
so, i have removed a few spammers, and i am going through some old posts looking for more SPAM to remove. trying not to step on any toes here, so here is what i regard as SPAM:
  1. post provides a link to a different website, where you are promoted to buy something or use a service.
  2. user ONLY posts links to other websites. most posts are SPAM, not including a single link in Signature.
what is an OK link to post:
  1. personal, non-commercial websites.
  2. links to YouTube channels, if it contains relevant, non-sales videos.
    1. camping trip videos
    2. camper renovation videos
    3. relevant HOW-TO videos
  3. links to a Flicker photo album, if it contains relevant, non-sales pictures.
    1. camping trip pictures
    2. camper renovation pictures
keep in mind, this is MY policy, and is how I view SPAM vs non-SPAM. the admins may view links or posts differently.
if you spot SPAM that i have not seen, please feel free to report the post. the report utility is located in the upper-right, three dots, of the specific post you wish to report. both admin and I will see the reports, and will take care of them as soon as we can get a chance.

here is how i handle SPAM and SPAMMERS:
if the user posts relevant posts, but makes the mistake of posting SPAM, the post will either be edited or deleted, and the user will be warned.
if the user does not post any relevant posts, other than SPAM. the posts will be deleted, and the user may get banned.

now, there is a grey area, called relevant SPAM. this is SPAM that is requested in a post, or perhaps solves a problem the user is having.
for example, if a user needs a good back-packing camp stove, then you can post a direct link to Amazon/eBay or wherever for an item you recommend for a solution.
just don't make a habit of ONLY posting relevant SPAM, as this becomes very close to being a SPAMMER. ;)

I hope this clears up what is SPAM, and feel free to contact me via direct conversation if you are unclear on what is, or is not SPAM, or anything else. i try to be a friendly person. :)

right now, the best way to revive this forum? make some posts. share a camping trip with us. share camper renovation stories with us. and in the "Around the Campfire" board, feel free to join in general conversation. we are a community, so enjoy your visits here. :)

as soon as i find my photo album, i will scan in the pictures from my hiking trip when i was 15 years old, and did 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail, here in Maine and New Hampshire, USA.

~Travis

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i get so excited when i see new posts here... then i realize it is SPAM...

come on people, we have thousands of members, tons of viewers... there must be something to talk about. ;) even here in the "Around the Campfire" section, where you can talk about most anything... well as long as you don't post SPAM or other "Not Safe For Work" (or kids) content, most anything goes... :)

i haven't scanned in my old hiking pictures yet, as i am having trouble finding drivers for my old all-in-one printer/fax/copy/scanner. my new laser printer does not have a scanner. but once i find drivers, i will post those pictures.

A little more detail about me, just so you can get to know me better: in grade school, several grades went hiking on some area mountains, and i always loved it. later on, when i was 15 (1995). i had the opportunity to do a course with Hurricane Island Outward Bound School. it was the BEST school course i have taken, to date! did 100 miles of mountain hiking, rock-climbing, canoeing, and it included a 3 day Solo survival camp site i had to construct myself from some rope, a tarp, and a few items from my pack, including a little food (some cheese, a bagel, and water (plus some iodine drops to purify more if needed, i think).
I think i made the food rations last about a day... :ROFLMAO: after that, i stave off hunger by chewing on some wintergreen leaves i found in the forest (my father showed me how to find them years ago). i could only chew on them, as i don't think you are supposed to actually eat them. but between those and water rations, that is what i had for the other two days.
the conclusion of the course was a half-marathon. i can't run for crap, never could. no idea why. so i walked and jogged the whole thing. they made me run the last part, but i was so tired i nearly passed out. i could have dropped dead and it would have felt just as nice. ;) but i finished, got my certificate, and an iron on HIOBS patch that i still have. but what i cherished the most was the memory of having real friends. you see, i am semi-Autistic (Autism Spectrum Disorder), so making friends only happens if it just happens. i don't actively seek friends in person, as most of the time i have better things to do. but online, i don't know. i like having friends, and seek out friendship. maybe it feels safer, i don't know.
but the memories i have from HIOBS will live on in my thoughts forever. :)
that is one of the reasons i like camping. trying to re-attach to those memories, i guess. but i like being out in the wild, as i generally have the confidence in knowing i will probably be alright out there.

some of my other hobbies include computer programming, specifically, Arduino programming. also i like mechanical work. like the RV generator i am trying to get running. i also like electronics (Arduino again), like the woodworking CNC router table i built and wired, though am now trying to sell to fund my camper renovation. I tried Ham Radio, but do to a stupid mistake, despite passing the exam, they never granted me my license, so i gave up and told them to "circular file" my application. I still have a 2M handheld radio i keep for emergencies, but i sold my big HF transceiver. I had a 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500 motorcycle that i loved to ride, but sold to buy my 5th wheel camper i am renovating.
i try to keep a full table of "projects" to keep my mind busy. but i found that so many of them were lifelong projects, and i only have one life...

one of the reasons i am renovating my 5th wheel camper is to make it a mobile music recording studio. this is my current lifelong project, and i am reducing everything to pursue this. i do play an instrument... well, that depends on your definition of "play". i "play" drums, but not in a band. my greatest accomplishment is my ability to produce unintelligible noise. ;) :ROFLMAO: but my true passion is recording. if i can't be great at drumming, perhaps i can record somebody that is, that just needs to be heard by others to be recognized as great. that is what i want to do.
what i currently do, is carpentry... i like it, but it fails to be a dream for me. but i can use it to renovate my camper, to make my dreams come true... i hope.

so, that is a bit about me (perhaps a bit too much ;) ), but it lets people know who i am.
feel free to post a bit more about you, if you like. i like reading just as much as i seem to enjoy typing (i have a documented writing disability... go figure ;) ).
for that matter, PLEASE feel free to post in the other boards here about camping experiences in the past, or ones you would like to take, or are currently taking... we all like to read. :) my camper renovation thread has over 200 reads, so i know you all enjoy reading as much as i do. ;)

~Travis

·
Registered
1 Posts
i get so excited when i see new posts here... then i realize it is SPAM...

come on people, we have thousands of members, tons of viewers... there must be something to talk about. ;) even here in the "Around the Campfire" section, where you can talk about most anything... well as long as you don't post SPAM or other "Not Safe For Work" (or kids) content, most anything goes... :)

i haven't scanned in my old hiking pictures yet, as i am having trouble finding drivers for my old all-in-one printer/fax/copy/scanner. my new laser printer does not have a scanner. but once i find drivers, i will post those pictures.

A little more detail about me, just so you can get to know me better: in grade school, several grades went hiking on some area mountains, and i always loved it. later on, when i was 15 (1995). i had the opportunity to do a course with Hurricane Island Outward Bound School. it was the BEST school course i have taken, to date! did 100 miles of mountain hiking, rock-climbing, canoeing, and it included a 3 day Solo survival camp site i had to construct myself from some rope, a tarp, and a few items from my pack, including a little food (some cheese, a bagel, and water (plus some iodine drops to purify more if needed, i think).
I think i made the food rations last about a day... :ROFLMAO: after that, i stave off hunger by chewing on some wintergreen leaves i found in the forest (my father showed me how to find them years ago). i could only chew on them, as i don't think you are supposed to actually eat them. but between those and water rations, that is what i had for the other two days.
the conclusion of the course was a half-marathon. i can't run for crap, never could. no idea why. so i walked and jogged the whole thing. they made me run the last part, but i was so tired i nearly passed out. i could have dropped dead and it would have felt just as nice. ;) but i finished, got my certificate, and an iron on HIOBS patch that i still have. but what i cherished the most was the memory of having real friends. you see, i am semi-Autistic (Autism Spectrum Disorder), so making friends only happens if it just happens. i don't actively seek friends in person, as most of the time i have better things to do. but online, i don't know. i like having friends, and seek out friendship. maybe it feels safer, i don't know.
but the memories i have from HIOBS will live on in my thoughts forever. :)
that is one of the reasons i like camping. trying to re-attach to those memories, i guess. but i like being out in the wild, as i generally have the confidence in knowing i will probably be alright out there.

some of my other hobbies include computer programming, specifically, Arduino programming. also i like mechanical work. like the RV generator i am trying to get running. i also like electronics (Arduino again), like the woodworking CNC router table i built and wired, though am now trying to sell to fund my camper renovation. I tried Ham Radio, but do to a stupid mistake, despite passing the exam, they never granted me my license, so i gave up and told them to "circular file" my application. I still have a 2M handheld radio i keep for emergencies, but i sold my big HF transceiver. I had a 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500 motorcycle that i loved to ride, but sold to buy my 5th wheel camper i am renovating.
i try to keep a full table of "projects" to keep my mind busy. but i found that so many of them were lifelong projects, and i only have one life...

one of the reasons i am renovating my 5th wheel camper is to make it a mobile music recording studio. this is my current lifelong project, and i am reducing everything to pursue this. i do play an instrument... well, that depends on your definition of "play". i "play" drums, but not in a band. my greatest accomplishment is my ability to produce unintelligible noise. ;) :ROFLMAO: but my true passion is recording. if i can't be great at drumming, perhaps i can record somebody that is, that just needs to be heard by others to be recognized as great. that is what i want to do.
what i currently do, is carpentry... i like it, but it fails to be a dream for me. but i can use it to renovate my camper, to make my dreams come true... i hope.

so, that is a bit about me (perhaps a bit too much ;) ), but it lets people know who i am.
feel free to post a bit more about you, if you like. i like reading just as much as i seem to enjoy typing (i have a documented writing disability... go figure ;) ).
for that matter, PLEASE feel free to post in the other boards here about camping experiences in the past, or ones you would like to take, or are currently taking... we all like to read. :) my camper renovation thread has over 200 reads, so i know you all enjoy reading as much as i do. ;)

~Travis
What do you mean by CNC?

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean by CNC?
CNC = Computer Numerical Control = a router that moves about a table, under the control of a computer.

~Travis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts