Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

we are two stundents from germany. we have a school project and have to give a speech about: The role of the frontier in U.S. American culture.

Can you give us some advice why you like to go camping in your great county:10001: and do you know some good places to camp??

Thanks for your help
max and johann

·
Registered
971 Posts
Wow, your speech is about to become a book!!!

I'll keep it very simple, but we like camping because it's affordable and fun and it brings family, friends and strangers together who can share their love for a common lifestyle activity. I am sure the reasons are the same as many as my European friends who love camping. In the U.S. much of this land is not as developed like the centuries of use in Europe and there are many many places to set up a tent or RV (or "caravan") and not just on the dirt under a tree by a lake.

Places to visit include many more answers. Imagine that in the U.S. there are possibly more places to "camp" than all the area in Europe combined! That's a lot of places! Camping is such a big business here, that you will find an array of equipment, vehicles, locations and adventures to fit ANY need. Most places have been provided with plumbing and sewage systems to keep them clean and safe. There are places in deserts, swamps, forests, mountains, glacial valleys, as well as close proximities to cities, amusement parks, shopping malls, etc.

There are more people in America to have even chosen camping as their way of living (called Full-timing) since after the initial expense of the vehicle, many can afford traveling from place to place as nomads in their luxury RVs that are now better and cheaper than some fixed homes and is very affordable month to month. And if you don't like the price of fuel (which is way less than any place in Europe) you can stay put or you can just not drive as far. Such flexibility indeed. Then to lower costs even further over time, you can join camping clubs that allow you to camp for free or at a huge discount anywhere in their system or other systems with only an annual fee for whichever club you like. There will be some initial cost of joining but no where near the price of a home and its utilities.

I will stop now, because if I came up with a list of locations I could fill up this forum pretty quick. Just look at a map of the United States. There are campgrounds or similar places near every city, tourist spot, travel point in every state all across the map. From DisneyWorld in Orlando, Florida to Denali National Park in Alaska. In fact, some people travel from street to street in their mobile RV (caravan) and where they stop for the night is their "campground". As long as you are considerate, clean, safe, follow the local laws and don't become a problem then you are okay. There are places you aren't welcome but just move to another location where it is allowed. There are so many of them!

Personally, I backpack (walk from place to place and set up camp), tent camp (set up a base camp and stay there or hike around the are), RV (tow a trailer to a campsite and have all the luxuries of a home) and most recently, truck camp (drive my 4x4 pickup truck, set up a tent in the truck bed, and sleep in there). These are far less expensive ways than staying in a hotel or motel to visit these same places and there are no hotels or motels some places I go, but you can usually set up a tent, or just sleep under the stars (no tent). Last time I did that though, I was awaken at 5:00am in the morning by a young bear sniffing at my head. LOL. You can't get much closer to nature.

Good luck on your speech! I hope the American style of camping and the passion that goes along with every variety of it, translates well in Deutsche.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey artmart
thanks for your long and really helpful reply. it helps us alot.
have a wonderful christmas time!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts