Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prefer thick cut bacon, about 3\16th's less than a quarter but more than 1\8th.

I recently discovered smoked flat bacon at china mart :icon_smile_bbq: and for 2\3rds the price of regular package cut bacon so :thumbup1:.

What do you prefer? I like thick bacon, crispy.

·
Registered
971 Posts
That gets my vote... pretty much what you said. I don't each much of it anymore but when I do, that's pretty much what I get - the thick and fry it crispy, nice and slow turning it a few times.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Artmart - I was cooking it the morning of my post and discovered that if you waited for the cackling to die down a bit from it frying then flip you get it to be a nice dark golden color :D.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I don't particular notice the color, however I prefer very flat and crispy (no fatty chewy wimpy parts which seem uncooked). I learned that using a lower heat, then turning 3 times (not once) yields a very reliable crispy consistency as long as you don't burn it. Whatever works to get that is fine with me.

My camping friends like when I fry up the bacon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best way to cook bacon, is in the oven, not in a pan. Hard to do when camping, but, if at home, bake it don't fry it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I like the thick cut also. I don't remember the name but we get it at BJ's for about 10 bucks for 3 lbs. We also get Taylor Ham there also. Taylor Ham and egg on a hard roll, mmmm. Getting hungry.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Won't the grease make a mess of the oven if using a cookie sheet?

AGHHH... I'll just stick with a griddle flipping it over a few times with some tongs. Works out great and turns out great and all this is already in my camping equipment.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ I think I misread his post ArtMart. If I understand correctly now that I reread it, you put a cookie sheet ontop of a regular cookie pan that way all the grease drips to a place that is easily cleanable :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry smokey, you cook them slow and low, much less shrinkage, and no, no mess in the oven. All good restaurants cook bacon this way. I would compare it to frying chicken or baking chicken, huge difference.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry smokey, you cook them slow and low, much less shrinkage, and no, no mess in the oven. All good restaurants cook bacon this way. I would compare it to frying chicken or baking chicken, huge difference.
At the restaurant where I worked when I was 14 they used to throw it all on a giant flat topped grill and fry it.:shrug: granted their bacon SUCKED, but it was fast and easy, there are very few places that I have eaten at that had good bacon.

I do like the idea of having all the grease drip off, tomorrow I'll give it a go. :icon_smile_bbq:

·
Registered
971 Posts
I use a grill that has a built in groove at the edges and this keeps the grease away and collected at one end of the surface.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I prefer the thick cut -- but, not too thick. Even if it's thin, I like it cooked so it's just a little bit chewy. My wife wants it crispy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bacon FTW!

Whoo hoo!

Big fan of thick cut, NOT crispy bacon. I despise crispy bacon. But I liked it cooked. It's touchy. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts