Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all! Excited to be apart of this community. I'm in Columbia, South Carolina, and I love getting to go camping, and clear my head from all of the craziness of the work week. I'm excited to read all of your posts and pick up some tips and advice here and there. If you're in the columbia area, check out my site at https://www.columbiavinylsiding.com
Welcome. And what's your real name, Columbia Vinyl Siding?
Mam? Or... mr?

Back to the topic, the list is pretty nice.
Though from my experience I'd advise against machete. Way too heavy for that. In general, to each their own according to their preferences and skills. But as for me, I've bent too many thin blade machetes to trust them anymore. Now I prefer kukris (they look like this) for brush/young trees clearing, and from my experience it's a better - and more durable - multi-tool.

Though I mostly use axes/hatchets for wood processing, it is rare I carry a kukri with me unless I know specifically where I'm going there will be some needed clearing. So for novices I'd stay - find a good axe instead of blade.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sounds way too much like hard work for most of what you do to clear woodland. Sorry to say, that we over the other side of the pond, can't do that as most of the land is privately owned. The only ones that can do what you all term as "wild camping" are the hikers, and then its generally on moors, ie, Dartmoor (the Hound of the Baskervilles" fame); Exmoor ("Lorna Doone" fame); Bodmon Moor ("Jamaica Inn" fame), etc. My nearest bit of wildness is the Peak District ("Wuthering Heights" fame)

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
The link to the comprehensive list in post #1, above, no longer seems to exist... (although it may be due to my assorted firewalls, antivirus and/or virtual network protections)...
I do agree that a tent can be important, and that some form of electric power can be handy; 'though far from essential... Personally I prefer to save money, up to 50% and assemble my own power stations... (early pic; 600 watt hours, missing 2 wires)

Product Automotive lighting Musical instrument accessory Gadget Audio equipment

Solar though has been a bit disappointing (a somewhat unwieldy hassle) for remote tent camping; at cool shady sites... Works well for treeless (hot) desert camping though.
Never really needed or had a use for an ax while camping, myself. Instead, ever since my backpacking days; I typically rely on downed or standing deadwood and a SvenSaw.

Haven't needed a backpack since the knees went away... (I rely on 4WD and unmaintained roads or Jeep trails now)... When there is no cell or Wi-Fi service you are getting there.

I say figure out your best camping style and go for it!... Just get out there.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I did some checking and was able to find the linked comprehensive list from post #1 above;

IMO it is a list but it is far from comprehensive and seems to be made by a wannabe/beginner survivalist; I have nothing against survivalists, but their priorities often do not completely align with most campers', IMO.

Here is an annotated excerpt, Without sales links; mostly to define the terms; an in depth examination of some of these could take a book or pamphlet to cover well,IMO

Knives

Knife preference can be highly personal and is subjective; use what you want.

Pocket Knife; user preference but Swiss Army knives (Victornox or Wenger brand) have been widely used for a very long time. I carry a Victornox "Tinker" since it is basically the largest knife with the widest capabilities that I care to carry in my pocket.
Wood Office supplies Multi-tool Tints and shades Everyday carry

Fixed Blade Knife; For cooking and occasional game cleaning use, an inexpensive medium fixed, or locking blade (folding) knife similar to the Opinel or Mora; will, likely, work fine for most folks.

So called survival/fighting/Rambo knives are often favored by survivalists and neophytes (you are only young once and I admit to having purchased a few); many campers find them of limited utility due to their size and a PITA to carry due to their weight.... again, use whichever knife you like... Butchering a water buffalo will, likely require different tools than slicing tomatoes...

Illumination; pushing back the darkness; a state of mind and/or environment..

LED flashlights typically consume less power and thus last longer.

Flashlight; again a highly personal and subjective choice, strongly consider; reliability, runtime and battery expense/availability, before purchase, I am not a fan of overly bright flashlights; I would rather trade brightness for runtime, personally.
I typically keep an LED tap-light on the cot side table (just hit it to light; no fumbling around in the dark)

and an inexpensive one of these
Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Rectangle Gadget

(Harbor Freight) to wander around in the dark... checking to see if the noise at the cooler was big foot.

Many people prefer head lamps, for their hands free abilities.

Lantern, Personally, I find mantle type liquid or gas fueled lanterns to be a hassle. They do provide a lot of light (However, some find their glare objectional)... If you feel the need go for it.

I favor LED in tent lighting in the 350 to 400 lumen range with color temperatures in the 2700 K range (slightly yellow). I use 120 volt lighting (powered by a 50 AH LiFePo4 battery and a small inverter) due to its ease of hookup (anyone can plug in a lamp or extension cord) and its compatibility with lamps at home; in case of power failure.

Emergency Candles;Other than romantic dinners, candles may have some applicability as a part of long storage time emergency supplies.

Bags or Packs

EDC bag/purse; (Every Day Carry) IMO, if something is not used multiple times per day and does not fit/carry in your pocket easily and nearly undelectably it can be, a bit, silly, to carry it every where, every day... do what works best for you.

Hiking backpack; If you are a hiker, get several of assorted pack sizes for different purposes through hikers' needs are vastly different from day hikers' needs. Let the purpose/journey determine the pack.

Bug out bag; a term used by survivalists to describe a packed and maintained backpack of essential disaster survival gear; make one up if you feel the need... recommended by many disaster experts. FEMA emergency supplies list.

Tools

Axe/hatchet/machete I have several and have never needed one camping; get one if you have a need.

Saw; get one that is substantial and light weight for fire wood prep; I prefer folding bow saws. I avoid small pruning saws as they often have issues cutting thicker wood. (for campfires I prefer seasoned dead wood smaller than 6 inches in diameter since it usually does not need to be split and is much easier to carry/transport to camp.
SvenSaws (large size) get my vote for yard and camp chores, although there are a great many choices of packable saws.

Knife Sharpener; use whichever one works for you to keep your edges sharp. I typically use 2; a v shaped carbide sharpener that shaves the edge to a preliminary angle. then a ceramic stick type sharpener to put a moderately sharp edge on the blade (often followed by a leather strop to polish the edge). I only bring a single ceramic sharpening stick camping; when I was backpcking I carried a light weight diamond hone to touch up edges.

Nails/screws; have no place in trees; and little use in camp other than as tent/tarp stakes... IMO.

Scissors; have some use in cooking & first aid, or in fabricating gear, however, I only bring one in the first aid kit ammo can...

Pliers; are carried in the tool box (which I carry in the vehicle).

Duct tape; has some use in emergency first aid but is largely relied on, as a kludge, by the less experienced. It is better, and usually cheaper, to purchase and maintain quality gear, at home, than to have to jury rig/repair something to allow it do its job. I re-roll some high quality duct tape into a film canister sized roll and keep it in the First Aid kit ammo can. When i was backpacking I made room for it in the first aid pouch..

Hammer, for tent pegs; can be a plastic mallet or a small sized claw (makes stake removal easier) hammer. I keep hammer weight at 12 ounces and up with the upper limit being a 2 pound drilling (rock) hammer... I vehicle camp so weight is normally not a big issue; ultralight aficionados can often use a rock.

Fire

In many situations getting a fire started can be important.

Tinder; easily ignitable material used to help start fires. Petroleum jelly soaked (real) cotton balls are a classic example. Normally, found tinder works well for me but I have been building and lighting campfires, in all conditions, for most of my life... commercial fire starting preparations are widely available.

Fire Making; full sized BIC lighters work well but often get a bad rep. from the internet and folks that do not use them (in very cold situations, warm them in an armpit). I carry one in my pocket and a spare in the pack / cooking supplies backed up by a Swedish fire steel affixed to the fixed blade sheath.

Boy Scout Fluid any flammable fluid used by inebriated and/or inexperienced wannabe pyromaniacs. MAY BE HAZARDOUS; May result in injury and/or forest fires.

Fire Starter, magnesium bar, takes some practice and can be hard to use in windy conditions.

Fire steel, a traditional way to make sparks to ignite fires in tinder. Modern versions (aka ferrocendium rod) provide relatively large quantities of sparks when scraped. I keep one on my fixed blade knife sheath as a secondary/tertiary fire starter.
Vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Bumper Camera accessory

This knife used to live on my pack's shoulder strap and now lives in the cooking kit. (early pic from when I was seeing how much junk could be tied to a sheath befor it became unusable.

Waterproof Matches, a BIC lighter from your pocket and/or the spare in your pack will normally do the job better for less weight and space... as always, its your gear, you get the choice.

Magnifying Glass, can make fine print visible for older folks, a Bic lighter is easier to use for starting fires, and does not require bright direct sunlight...

Water

Hydration pack; these have basically replaced canteens for carrying personal water in the military and by hikers/outdoors folks..

Water Carrier to carry potable water from home; 2 to 7 gallons sometimes more, depending on the personnel, consumption and trip.

Water Bottle for small quantities, often used by bicyclists and those paranoid about hydration.

Canteen Typically for carrying 1 to 2 quarts.

Water Bag for more than 2 quarts I find 2.5 to 8 gallon plastic or metal water carriers preferable.

Water Purification

Water Filter; there are many brands out there; some are better rated than others. I use a Katadyn pocket filter on the very rare occasions that I bring a water filter.

Water Purification Tablets; are in the small pocket on each canteen carrier for use if an emergency should occur during a day hike; when I bring the canteen with cup,knife and fork on day hikes (sometimes a hot lunch is preferable to a cold one).

Shelter

Tent; portable shelter; get one that is big enough, water proof and has a full coverage rain fly.

Tarp; for shade, rain protection or use as a ground cloth

Bivy Sack;
Bivouac shelter
A bivouac shelter is any of a variety of improvised camp site, or shelter that is usually of a temporary nature, used especially by soldiers, or people engaged in backpacking, bikepacking, scouting, or mountain climbing.Wikipedia
...in place of a tent.

Hammock; preferred by some folks for camping, may be restricted by rules governing hanging stuff from trees. Often used with a lightweight tarp or fly for rain protection.

Weapons

normally used for defense against aggressive dogs. Bears regularly wander through our camp with little disturbance. (However, we do not camp where bears have become accustomed to people and people food).
...It is unlikely, IMO, that a 9mm, 10mm, .45acp or smaller caliber pistol will stop a bear.

Self-Defense Weapons

Bear Spray which is actually high potency pepper spray; preferably with dye for later perpetrator identification, good for aggressive dogs/owners.

Tactical Flashlight; if you feel the need to blind or club big foot or a charging rhinoceros to death.

Firearms; Only if everyone in camp is properly and fully trained in their safe handling and use.

I can answer question about most of these in a more depth, if anyone is curious.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
Tent camping, Backpacking, Car camping
4 Posts
For multi-days high-altitude treks like Auden's Col in the Himalayas, this is our standard packing list:

Clothing
  1. Trekking pants and jackets.
  2. Rainproof pants and jackets.
  3. Thermals underwear.
  4. A pair of gloves.
  5. Short-sleeved trekking shirts.
  6. Long-sleeved trekking shirts.
  7. Woolen cap/ beanies.
  8. Insulating jackets.
  9. fleece-lined jacket.
  10. Lightweight Sweaters.
  11. Trekking boots.