Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever camped on the beach?

I am considering taking the kids up to Lake Erie to camp on the beach there.

I don't have a "special" beach tent. I want to use my smaller nylon dome tent.

Will I have trouble with this?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
The only problem you may have is wind (and the one time I went to Lake Erie, it was howling). I've seen nylon dome tents almost fold in half because of beach wind. If you're not actually on the beach (that is, farther back up in the trees), hang a few tarps in the trees to act as a buffer. A lower profile tent would work better, but then there wouldn't be as much room.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wind can and will be a problem. We actuall had one of those canopies get away from us in some high winds at the beach (FL), but that was just a daytime setup. I imagine the wind gets pretty rough there, unless you can get back and out of it somehow. Night time may not be so bad though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, if there{s a lot of night wind the tarps can get pretty noisy. Try to find a sheltered are if there is any. But beach camping is great fun and pretty comfortable. YOu might need to empty the tent and shake out excess sand every day or two though.

·
Administrator
312 Posts
I have camped on the beach down on South Padre Island a number of times with only a few issues. Yes, the wind can be challenging so make sure you have everything tied down. My biggest hassle was dealing with all the sand that gets in everything but I still had an absolute blast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.