Camper Community Forums banner

Solar Power Bank

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Najaatuhan 
I truly dislike SPAMMING, but this product came across my FaceBook, and i really liked the idea.

not pushing you to buy it, as i have no affiliation, but i am curious what peoples thoughts were, as it interests me. i have no money to buy it, just the idea of it is interesting to me. it is only 15W @ 12V (i assume it has a step-down for charging phones), but if one was on a kayak/canoe trip, or camping near a brook...

now, don't get me wrong, i like some comforts of home while camping, hence why i have a small 5th-wheel camper (that i am renovating). but if i am camping, the phone would be for making important calls, assuming cell coverage. so a way to keep it charged, should i find where i put my tent, would be handy.

the unit looks bulky, as far as backpacking in, but if driving in, or in a camper (dry camping), i can see the value.

I would probably see if I could get a used electric trolling motor cheap/free and investigate its electrical generation capabilities before investing much in a water turbine.
interesting, though i would expect the drag of the motor brushes would be an issue with output ability, unless it is a 3-phase brush-less trolling motor. i have a wind turbine i thought about using with my camper, but when is the last time you found a good ridge with wind, that a camper could navigate to. but as it is a 3-phase AC wind generator, it could be converted (or another one could be) to a water turbine. i think it is a 600W @12V turbine, though 3-phase generators are a touch more hardware, what with the 3-phase bridge-rectifier, dump-load, charge controller, and so forth.

i may find a way to make the wind turbine portable, with an anchor-able tripod stand, or something, though i think i will leave it to home, as a charger for something else. i don't know just yet, hence why it sits in storage.
perhaps my weather station project could use it...

but for a water turbine to charge cell phones, and such, i can see improving the one i mentioned with a concentration funnel sock, to gather more water pressure.

Reactions: Happy Joe