CamperCommunity Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have dual Honda EU2000s. I also purchased a parallel cable that allows them to connected together and then I also purchased an RV panel that allow me to connect the RV's 30amp adapter. Nowadays there is a companion model of EU2000 so that you don't have to purchase a separate RV panel like I had do (it's big, sticks out, takes up more room, so the companion is the SAME size as the standard EU2000)

Note, that 2000watt ratings for the Hondas is the MAXIMUM surge rating and not the RUNTIME rating for any generator. Figure that the runtime rating is about 75%-80% of the maximum when calculating how much generator you should get.

Another factor for Hondas is that the quality of the AC power coming from them is very clean so allow computers, and other sensitive equipment to run off them. A lesser expensive unit power will not be as "clean" and can damage sensitive equipment.

I selected dual EU2000s because even with full fuel tanks they weigh about 50 lbs each and I can lift them into the back of my pickup when we travel. Dual Honda EU3000s can do the same thing in parallel for 50mps of need, but they are too heavy and large for me. For an A/C unit you'll need to supply at least 30 amps with your generators. This means even with a single EU3000 it should work but keep in mind the runtime versus maximum ratings and using the A/C with a bunch or stuff can be limiting. I chose dual EU2000s because it gives me 4000 watts max and a little less than that to easily provide 30 amps for my rig.

Whatever portable model you use, remember that you will need to secure these some how. This can be another long topic of conversation, so I'll save that discussion. When the gennys are in my pickup they are chained and locked and under a cover, but if a thief wants them bad enough, oh well. There are better ways but like I mentioned, another topic.

Lastly, there are ways to increase runtime hours by using external fuel tanks connected to the fuel supplies of the genny and this is another long topic, too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been considering purchasing a generator for our camper. I have heard a lot of good things about the Honda's, but they are pretty expensive.

I dont know how many watts would be best either, but I will mostly use it for lights, TV and sometimes the AC.

Thanks
We purchased a Champion generator from Tractor Supply Company (TSC item #46514). The 3500w (4000w peak), $299.99 plus tax. Put oil and gas in it and gave it two pulls and it was running, sitting on the ground behind the 18' trailer. I walked around to the front of the trailer and couldn't hear the gen running. Let it warm up and plugged in the RV. Turned on the AC and all the lights. Gen didn't even notice.

Has 110v household plug, 30A RV plug and 220v plug. Weighs about 100#. A wheel kit is available.

Friends have had one for a couple years and have absolutely no complaints. One powers his 30' 5th wheel while boondocking. Says it runs up to 12 hours on one tank of fuel.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Regarding Champion and other brands, a potential problem with these is that the power might not be clean enough to run sensitive electronic equipment over long periods. Computers, DVD players, LCD TVs and other sensitive digital equipment might not work as well as some of the lesser valued generators.

This is something to consider. If you can somehow get the output sinewave of the AC part of the generator this can help you determine how well (or how bad) you are treating your equipment. Since I have Hondas and they are known for "clean" power I haven't bothered.

Another caution. Using an A/C should be possible with a 2000watt generator, but this is less than the typical 20 amps that an A/C might need. Know the ratings of the A/C and the corresponding rating of your generator to ensure things will start up fine and you are not browning out your electronic equipment. FYI a 2000 watt generator will provide a maximum of 16 to 18 amps starting amps and some A/Cs might need up to 20 to start up and cause your generator to fault. Also when the 2000 watt generator is running it only provides about 1800 watts or 15 to 16 amps and may cause a brown out of the A/C which will cause the A/C motor to burn up. Your A/C might be working it but you could be slowly "killing" it. Again, check the ratings.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought a Gentron about 5 yrs ago. It's about the same as the Champion, price, wattage and plugs. Noise about 68 decibels.
My campgound shuts the electric of the middle of Nov. The electric company makes them pay for all the drops, even though there is no one using the electric. It saves the campground some money. I bought the generator so my wife and I can go up later on in the winter and enjoy the piece and quite, just us and the animals.
It runs quite enough not to bother us and keeps the batteries charged up. Knock on wood we have had no issues, but we don't have a computer or a flat screen tv (maybe in the future). Our vcr has bit the bullet, but I expect that to be just a vcr issue.
Thanks for the heads up on clean electric. I didn't realize there was such a thing. If the Gentron gves up on me I will look around some more. The sinwave, is that on the paper work that came with the generator?
We don't use the generator that much to go out and spend a lot on one, but if other stuff starts breaking it might be worth it to get one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a Gentron about 5 yrs ago. It's about the same as the Champion, price, wattage and plugs. Noise about 68 decibels.
My campgound shuts the electric of the middle of Nov. The electric company makes them pay for all the drops, even though there is no one using the electric. It saves the campground some money. I bought the generator so my wife and I can go up later on in the winter and enjoy the piece and quite, just us and the animals.
It runs quite enough not to bother us and keeps the batteries charged up. Knock on wood we have had no issues, but we don't have a computer or a flat screen tv (maybe in the future). Our vcr has bit the bullet, but I expect that to be just a vcr issue.
Thanks for the heads up on clean electric. I didn't realize there was such a thing. If the Gentron gves up on me I will look around some more. The sinwave, is that on the paper work that came with the generator?
We don't use the generator that much to go out and spend a lot on one, but if other stuff starts breaking it might be worth it to get one.
For the money ($300.00) the Champion 4000/3500w (and others) are very good units. If one is concerned about voltage fluctuations use a UL1449, CSA-listed, plug-in surge suppressor on the outlet feeding your sensitive equipment. The Champion TSC #46514 (and some other brands/models) provides 110v/30a and 220v outlets. Quiet, 96#, 12 hrs on a tank of gas, dependability and good customer support. Spending more money and buying on marketing hype doesn't necessarily get one a better product. Northern Tools, Harbor Freight and TSC gensets have attractive unit performance and prices.

·
Registered
971 Posts
If a generator will not publish their AC sine wave then expect that it's not as clean as a company that does, otherwise they would be proud to let everyone know it's clean.

In the meantime they won't bring it up, they hope you don't know any better and they will have sold you a generator by that time. If it causes problems with your electronics, that's not their problem because you didn't know to ask and they didn't have to tell you.

They are selling you a 110-120v power generator - that's it. What or how you are gonna use it is NOT their concern. As a consumer you must be aware of how you are gonna use this and for what.

For whatever reason, generators are coming out of the woodwork. All kinds of brands, many more models, but they are not all equal. It takes a bit of research to find what you need. Generally speaking the larger the genny the cleaner the power, then the price will definitely reflect the amount of effort for a genny to come up with clean power, noise filtering, etc. An inexpensive generator won't do that.

Sounds like you have a plan now, dogbone, now that you are a little more aware.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the money ($300.00) the Champion 4000/3500w (and others) are very good units. If one is concerned about voltage fluctuations use a UL1449, CSA-listed, plug-in surge suppressor on the outlet feeding your sensitive equipment. The Champion TSC #46514 (and some other brands/models) provides 110v/30a and 220v outlets. Quiet, 96#, 12 hrs on a tank of gas, dependability and good customer support. Spending more money and buying on marketing hype doesn't necessarily get one a better product. Northern Tools, Harbor Freight and TSC gensets have attractive unit performance and prices.
We just returned from an eight day dry camping trip. The Champion generator worked like a champ. I tested it by running it 48 hours non-stop except for refueling and oil check (better to test now than in the desert). Had the AC, refer, lights, TV and computer all running at the same time a couple nights. No problems at all. It ran 12 to 14 hours on a full tank. Nice to have quiet power for a change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A generator also called power generator/electric generator can be quite useful when a regular power supply fails or in places where commercially-generated power is not available.

Generator can be divided into various types, such as open type(openset), silent type, portable type, trailer type, silent type, soundproof type, container type and so on.

For home use, I suggest you to consider buying silent generator, 20 -30KW is enough. If you want to purchase a soundproof diesel generator or gasoline generator, you can consider these brands, Honda, Cummins, Volvo, Perkins, Deutz, etc.

If you want to look for a reliable brand generator and mid-price, Cummins generator is a good choice. Otherwise, Deutz is reliable brand with good price and mid-price.

Hope it is helpful to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda eu2000 or 2000i would be great too, I own Honda 1.0 & even quieter and I think I have only ever used it for 1 no more than hour at a time, maximum twice a day, Only then when the weather is not so good for solar panels to put much in and no one would have been thinking about staying outside in that weather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A generator also called power generator/electric generator can be quite useful when a regular power supply fails or in places where commercially-generated power is not available.

Generator can be divided into various types, such as open type(openset), silent type, portable type, trailer type, silent type, soundproof type, container type and so on.

For home use, I suggest you to consider buying silent generator, 20 -30KW is enough. If you want to purchase a soundproof diesel generator or gasoline generator, you can consider these brands, Honda, Cummins, Volvo, Perkins, Deutz, etc.

If you want to look for a reliable brand generator and mid-price, Cummins generator is a good choice. Otherwise, Deutz is reliable brand with good price and mid-price.

Hope it is helpful to you.
Twice that Cindy said.
And about the noise level - the quietest generator I have heard is a Honda. My father bought one and paid about $1500 for it. It will power his entire 5th wheel with ease. He turned on the AC and the generator did not idle up at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Several of the guys I camp with have RV generators. Pulsar seems to have better power output per watt than your average generator. I guess what I should say is a 4000-watt Pulsar will run a camper better than a 4000 watt Walmart, Briggs, etc. Like any small engine, they need good clean gas. Seafoam every tank will help with this. They are much quieter than the Briggs motor. Most campers take at least 30 amps. the newer bigger one takes 50 amps. Make sure it is wired to handle that load. A "micro-quiet" Pulsar is a nice very quiet small unit. They are much more efficient on gas. .5 to 1 gallon an hour depending on how hard you are working it. I assume since your RV is generator ready and it has a spot to install onboard. Make sure it is well ventilated to keep it from burning up. Amazon is where the guys I know have got them. Mostly out of wrecked or retired motor homes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Several of the guys I camp with have RV generators. Pulsar seems to have better power output per watt than your average generator. I guess what I should say is a 4000-watt Pulsar will run a camper better than a 4000 watt Walmart, Briggs, etc. Like any small engine, they need good clean gas. Seafoam every tank will help with this. They are much quieter than the Briggs motor. Most campers take at least 30 amps. the newer bigger one takes 50 amps. Make sure it is wired to handle that load. A "micro-quiet" Pulsar is a nice very quiet small unit. They are much more efficient on gas. .5 to 1 gallon an hour depending on how hard you are working it. I assume since your RV is generator ready and it has a spot to install onboard. Make sure it is well ventilated to keep it from burning up. Amazon is where the guys I know have got them. Mostly out of wrecked or retired motor homes.
Well, I can't agree with you here, as I once bought Pulsar gen, which I had to return as it stopped function properly in a few days and made much noise, plus it is not power full enough for larger RVs. As I also run a small mobile cafe, I looked for smth universal that can be usedfor business and camping. So, I ended up buying one og these food truck generators - Honda 7000W and it's perfectly quiet and powerfull enough for all my needs. And yes it's more expensive than Pulsar but it's worth it

41 - 60 of 62 Posts