Camper Community Forums banner
61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We recently had a new house built. The roof has been on for about 1 year. When I was cleaning the gutters I noticed the shingles on the gable end had lifted and there was exposed OSB sheathing. I contacted the builder and they had the roofing company that installed it come out and they used some kind of tar caulk to hold them down. It took 15 minutes. To me, it looks like the sheathing is possibly warped. roofing service area Alexandria, VA I know little about roofing and was hoping to get some opinions.. The builder says that the repair was to industry standards but I question that. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
116 Posts
We recently had a new house built. The roof has been on for about 1 year. When I was cleaning the gutters I noticed the shingles on the gable end had lifted and there was exposed OSB sheathing. I contacted the builder and they had the roofing company that installed it come out and they used some kind of tar caulk to hold them down. It took the 15 minutes. To me it looks like the sheathing is possibly warped. I know little about roofing and was hoping to get some opinions.. The builder says that the repair was to industry standards but I question that. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I happen to be a carpenter, so i will chime in with what i know, from my area.
being in Maine, USA, my building codes may be different.
first thing i would note, the ONLY OSB like product i would use on a roof is Advantec, or similar. it has water-proof glue, making it more water-resistant. standard OSB should never be used on a roof as the glue is not a good grade.

having that in mind, gable ends are susceptible to wind-shear. i use double nailing on windy gables, and sometimes i caulk the edges down for added protection. this is not code, but preference.

was there ANY water barrier between the shingles and OSB? tar paper will work, but i like a product called RoofTopGuard, Home - RoofTopGuard and have used it for a while now.

if you are concerned about the repairs, i would source out a good builder for a second opinion, keeping in mind that a scam builder will automatically say the roof needs replacement, with little investigation. personally, i would be leary of somebody that only works to industry standards, and does not adapt and go above and beyond when the situation requires it. perhaps a local code-enforcement officer could help, if you think it is needed.

I hope this is of some help. :)

~Travis

61 - 62 of 62 Posts