Camper Community Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Great stuff Hoosier. Good pics and info there, should definitely help some folks out along the way. The enternabond seals and lays very nice doesnt it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I belong to a site called MyRVParks.com and a member is having some problems in which your post would really be helpful. I reposted your post there with "all credit" to you of course.

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's great, especially if you added a link back to this topic, this way they are able to see all the information from others and maybe will share their info with us as well as they do the same thing.

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
LOL, I actually meant a link from the site you posted it on, back to this topic, so they could see all of the info shared here and maybe add in here what they do to fix theirs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eternabod for repair

I used the eternabond to repair a sun damaged part on a slideout awning more than a year ago. I scrubbed the area clean before application and dried it. After one year the edges were already peeling up. I pulled it off easily suggesting that it wasn't stuck very well. It was in direct sun in Denver for a year, but that wasn't a very good patch.
For your rubber roof, I would use the Dicor patch kit that Camping world sells. Dicor is the manufacturer of the rubber roofs, so they should know how to do it. I just added a patch to an area on my roof that was ripped by branches. If it fails I will tell you, but the kit came with flowing caulk to seal the edges, I think that will be much more solid.
David
PS I did not mean a thumbs up for Eternabond. But for Dicor

·
Registered
69 Posts
Please let me know how that goes David! I'm over in Parker and although my tops solid, I know I'll have to do it sooner or later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Siding Repair Houston

I have just recently replaced my siding, however, I did do it myself. Now I think I have installed it incorrectly.

So now I really need some help for my siding repair. Could you give me some advice or recommend someone please?

I did saw this video and I admit it was useful. However, I really cannot afford to make another mistake so I really like to get more details on this before deciding what to do.

Thanks for the help in advance! =)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I am new to the forum and am current rehabbing a 16' 1972 Jayco for a hunting/fishing trailer for my kids & I. It has had extensive leaking on both front and rear roof corners down. I have removed most of the damaged paneling but am now ready to replace the studs (1x2's). But I will need to remove the fifty pounds (approximately) of silicone caulking on the outside. Is there anything that removes it from the aluminum siding? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Russ
PS: any suggestions to make the unit more usable for hunting/fishing are welcome also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just wanted to share this: I read this post a couple months ago so I bought a roll of eternabond from grainger, it worked great on most spots but the thaw out from this winter some of the eternabond came off, it just wont stick in some spots for some reason. I did some more reasearch and found this black jack 99 neoprene epdm roof cement, avail at lowes, I did go around the eternabond with lap sealant but that wasn't strong enough to hold it. I put some of this black jack stuff down its much stronger and works great in conjunction with the eternabond if you have some real hard to stick spots, I just sealed the eternabond down with it, it comes in a 10oz caulk tube, its a mess, like black tar but I am very happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I'm sure that works great, but now parts of your roof are black. When I used etrnabond, I put rubber roof sealer over the top of it - and it lasted until I sold the camper (4-5 years).
You could still get some rubber roof sealer and paint it over your black stuff and have a double seal, that looks white. A black roof in a harsh winter might not be a bad idea, but I would hate to have a black roof in the summer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't go over the entire roof with this stuff, the AC would never keep up in the summer. I took a quick pic, this was my experiment spot, so its sloppy, Im going to go over ALL the eternabond edges before the spring is here and i'll do it a little nicer, Im really quite happy with this stuff.
x

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined here just after reading the opening post. Good read. I might also add you may want to add a dehumidifier inside the unit to help remove any dampness.

Right now I'm waiting for our 5th wheel to get fixed from a leaky roof and have the dehumidifier in there untill the roof is sealed.

Then on to the short. Uggh Camping is great and great for making family memories but its no fun when something goes wrong with the unit

·
Registered
2 Posts
We bought an RV last fall, used, but didn't cover it over the winter. We had terrible leaks. So much so that my husband total gutted the rear (bedroom) of the rv. We now see LOTS of pin holes, and a couple of larger holes (1/4"?). Husband wants to remove that area of the metal and replace it.

Would this tape/rubber roof sealer be enough to repair this? Or, is replacement the way to go, and then seal that?

There was another leak up front, but he didn't remove that ceiling. I'm not sure, but I think that was leaking where the seam is, but the tape would probably be fine there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I contacted Eternabond about using the product on my 2000 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up with an ABS room and they responded saying not recommended for this application. We have the cracks everyone has experienced on this type of roof. Want to stop the leaks before they happen.

We are considering using an elastomeric marine sealant by Sudbury or 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV. We live in Colorado. Any experience with these products?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yushokuma

If nothing else, everybody should cover their camper. Think about it - if there is a leak, and you keep it covered when not in use, it will probably not be exposed about 90% of the time.

If you know there is a leak, fix it.
Great idea, better safe than sorry. And water inside your RV is a sorry situation. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much, I am new here & just started to renovate a 1977 NuWa trailer...rained last night...nasty leak at TV antenna opening. Will try your idea..loved the video!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many of the solutions posted in this thread are not recommended by the manufacturers of those products or look terrible aesthetically. After doing a tremendous amount of research and contacting manufacturers directly about their products, all shown in this thread and more, we found a viable solution. My husband and I spent a half-day applying 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV to the numerous cracks on the top of our 2000 Coleman Santa Fe Pop-up (ABS roof). It looks fantastic! Is holding up very well. It was also reasonably easy to apply.

1. Clean the cracks with denatured alcohol
2. Use a very fine sandpaper and very lightly brush the surface of the cracks. The sandpaper removes the small amount of dirt that may have accumulated at the surface of the crack and leaves a little ABS residue in the crack. This helps to hide the fact that the crack was ever there.
3. Use a small drill bit and make a small hole at the ends of each crack. This stops the progression of the crack once sealed.
4. Apply a small amount of the 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV with the thin tip along the length of the crack. Wearing a thin glove, smooth and fan out the edges with your finger to leave a smooth surface. This sealant comes in black and white. We used white and although it is not an exact match, you can't tell from more than 3 feet away from the surface.

We have been exploring options for about 1 1/2 years. We were quoted anywhere from $900 to put on a coating that was too heavy for the unit to support, to over $1,500 to replace the top. About a year ago, we tried the Eternabond tape on one spot and were very disappointed; it held up but looks terrible aesthetically. Maybe others don't care about aesthetics. We did not want a band aid look.

We are extremely pleased with the results. Especially after thinking we would eventually have to haul it to a landfill if we could not repair the roof. We are now looking forward to many years of camping pleasure. I hope you find this information helpful to you as well.

FYI: Although I have my own company (16 years) that does product marketing and research, I am not associated with any of the companies I researched for this application.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your research. The prep work especially. I had a window film business in Texas for many years and prep work made all the difference in film to glass installation.
Now need help advice on how to remove old tv antenna...that is where leak is and I want antenna gone so I can plug hole and seal. My son and I worked on it and are stuck at getting it all the way off. Thanks again. Where should I post such a problem?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts