Camper Community Forums banner

Refill 8 oz butane canister with propane?

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Vincent 
#1 ·
Hi,

I like the compact butane stoves that use an 8 oz bottle and am interested in refilling them with propane. I've refilled the 1 lb propane bottles from 20 lb propane tanks many times with no problems by the following method: Put the empty 1 lb bottle in the freezer 'till it gets cold, attach it to the adapter on the 20 lb tank and turn the rig upside down, open the tank's valve for a minute or more until it stops hissing into the bottle, then close the valve and remove the filled 1 lb bottle.

Will that same or a similar method work to refill the 8 oz butane bottles from 20 lb propane tanks? Is there a danger of over pressuring the 8 oz bottles since they don't seem to be as strong heavy metal a container as the 1 lb propane bottles?

I've found a couple of adapters that look made for the job, but would be glad for any additional suggestions. These are what I've found so far:

Thank you for any help learning to do this!
David
Maine, USA

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello David, i too am from Maine! :cool: what area are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

i personally never heard of refilling butane with propane, but i suppose if they make a product for it, it must be ok. as for the method, i couldn't tell you. there are some videos on the amazon link you supplied, perhaps those may shed some light.

#4 ·
I live in Gardiner. There must be a reasonably safe way of doing this and I was hoping someone would explain how to do it, but having a number of replies from several forums not one of them have said they have experience doing it and caution against it because propane is about 4 times the pressure of butane which explains why the propane bottles are so much thicker. So I give up on the idea. I did see a video where a guy did it successfully:

LPG refill
propane refill

but at this point it seems much safer to forget about trying. If it had turned out to be fairly simple and safe though, it would have been great.

#3 ·
Personally; I never recommend refilling disposable gas cylinders. They are normally not all that expensive and the valves are not designed for long term repeated use (I have had the Schrader valves in new one pound propane tanks fail after only one use); and the small butane canisters seem to be even more cheaply made.
Really, it comes down to a matter of; How much risk do you deem acceptable?

Instead, I use an adapter hose to connect a larger propane 1, 5 or 10 pound propane tank or cylinder to power my portable propane/butane devices; not being a weight conscious backpacker this has little downside for me. (Always check for leaks using soapy water in a spray bottle; this has saved me from unwanted fires several times).

Enjoy! ... and stay safe.

Reactions: travis.farmer
#5 ·
wow - talk about coincidences . . .
I just ordered a "Duel-Fuel" stove this morning and it will be here tomorrow. I have over a dozen of the 16oz green propane bottles and a few of the butane. If you can get the adapter hose, you can use the 16oz propane bottles that you can refill.
Product Camera lens Digital camera Camera Reflex camera

Automotive lighting Camera accessory Font Electronic device Camera lens

#6 ·
Do they require any jetting changes to work on propane? I'd love to run mine like that. Love my little cooker, but those 16oz cans don't last a weekend. Mine's a Sterno. The price was right for it, found it in the parking lot at work, with the carrying case. Just needed a little cleaning, no one claimed it. I've got three seasons' worth of use from it thus far.

Reactions: Happy Joe
#9 ·
Those 16oz cans don't last a weekend. Mine's a Sterno. The price was right for it, found it in the parking lot at work,
This might be a good time to "upgrade". Start saving the green 16oz refillable propane cans for small gatherings and connect the 20# BBQ jug for larger ones.
I have the heavy Coleman double burner stove that takes only propane. Too big and bulky for just a day or two camping.
I guess my style of car camping is considered "minimalist" taking only the bare necessities as I don't have kids to take with me. So there's no reason for "just me" to get deeply invested in a lot of family sized camping gear.
But - being a "Gadget-Aholic", I've got just about everything a small time car camper and avid backpacker needs.
Office supplies Office equipment Gas Electronic device Bullet

#7 ·
This type of "Duel Fuel" is totally new to me - I just saw it yesterday while looking for a replacement stove. (that I gave away to a worthy cause). And when I saw it, I was flabbergasted that it could be a very good compromise in fuel considerations and availability. When thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that it has a custom designed jet to accommode both fuels - OR - the adapter hose may trigger a selection device to tell the stove which fuel is being used.
Actually, I have no clue. But refilling a butane cansiter that clearly states on the can DO NOT REFILL. I would heed that caution.
I'll get the stove late this evening and run some tests on it tomorrow and post a review when I'm comfortable with the information that I post. (I'm not a YouTuber that posts Willy-Nilly and at the end say "Do Not Try This at Home" - that's just plain stupid. As many of the YT videos are.

#8 ·
Heck, I'd opt for one of those little 5lb. refillable bottles of propane and an adapter to run a hose to a little cooker which can run both fuels long before I'd risk filling a butane spray can with propane. That notion gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Reactions: John Smith_inFL
#10 ·
You and me both. My Coleman stove is the old white gas unit, not even sure if it's "duel fuel" for gasoline or not. I too have no shortage of gadgetry. MSR back packer stove, Sterno cooker, a couple of tiny stoves which screw atop those smaller fuel cannisters, three different Firebox Stoves, a Biolite Stove (with the grilling attachment, solid fuel stoves for canteen/backpacking, a tiny collapsible fire pit, a Coffey Spit for camp fire, a backpacking sized campfire cooking holder, a larger campfire cooking holder, a tripod for campfire use, even a Lodge cast iron Hibachi grill. I don't need to be buying any more cooking stuff for camping, I'm already well stocked with options to drag along.

#12 ·
Oh yeah, a Trangia and a couple of look-alikes whiskey burners too. One year at Christmas, everyone got a whiskey burner and a collapsible pot stand to go with it. Don't even get me started on knives. LOL I enjoy dolling stuff up with knot-work too, or making sheaths/masks for stuff out of leather. And when you're done making lanyards, zipper pulls, guy lines, ridge lines, prusik loops, etc., they never look tidy until you melt the tips and put some heat shrink on the ends. Seems like there's always an upgrade project awaiting a sunny day in camp, or a rainy day in camp, while the coffee's brewing on a stove, and some hot soup on another stove, and some tortillas heating in a pan on another stove.

#13 ·
got my stove - it's pretty much like all the 1,000 others on the market just like it. ACCEPT - this one is duel fuel, which sets it apart from the others.
I figured out the secret - - - - the Propane Adapter hose has a small pressure regulator that can NOT be tampered with. (which is strongly discouraged anyway) just like on the BBQ tanks. So filling a butane can with propane is just asking for trouble - SERIOIUS trouble.
Font Fashion accessory Hat Metal Costume hat

#14 ·
Sooooooo???? Does that suggest that a feller might want to look for an aftermarket adapter hose for use on his old Sterno unit? Am I reading that the key is the pressure regulator and not a different jet? (I hope, I hope, I hope??)

#15 ·
Ok, I see what's up. From the Amazon link I watched the video. This unit has the addition of a "thread-on" port for the propane hose to screw to. That is not present on my Sterno. However, the price of this whole stove is well worth the upgrade and loss of risk involved with refilling.

#17 ·
Fifth pic down shows adaptation from refillable tank to this type of stove using one-time use 1 lb. cannisters.

Gas One Conversion Connection

#18 ·
#19 ·
Add a roll of gas use teflon tape (yellow) for connections and one should be GTG, no matter which option you choose.

Reactions: Happy Joe
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.