Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting opinions/suggestions for rain coats/suits. Read a lot about Frogg Toggs. Have some older PVC type ones and they are too hot. Do not want ot spend a lot but need something in the rain.

· Registered
477 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I usually use an old, rubberized, GI rain jacket with hood (the pants are so uncomfortably hot that I would rather get wet), although I have spent many rain storms under the old (rubberized) USGI rain ponchos... (the nylon ones leak).... however, I haven't tried any new anti-rain products in the last 20 years; so; perhaps there is now something that will work as well with a lighter weight..
Tried goretex rain gear, back in the 90's but it didn't seem to breathe much better than the waterproof (rubberized) gear.

Mostly I now retire into the tent or under a canopy during significant rainstorms, rain is, usually, such a minor concern for me, here in the desert south west, that I really don't think about it much.

Enjoy!

· Registered
27 Posts
Helly Hansens are what people wear in Alaska. they are not that expensive and durable. They breathe somewhat.
When it is really wet you can either get wet from the outside or wet from the inside. Even the new Goretex super duper fabrics that can cost $500 do not breathe that well.
Working in Alaska, I finally went to Filson waxed canvas clothes for constant rain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts