Camper Community Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
After two months in the shop, it finally came home. Came in $200 under estimate. :thumbup1:

Only complaint (besides the amount of time it took) is the first thing they did was fix the fridge, let it get cold, then turned it off and left the door closed. Nice layer of mold I'll need to clean out of it :smack-head:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh man that sucks happiest. Get some Tilex mold and mildew cleaner. It works great for cleaning refrigerators and freezers and anywhere else that gets moldy. It doesnt have to be just for bathrooms, I have used it, works better than anything else I have found so far.

Glad they got it fixed though, and under estimate, how often does that happen :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is off what the last page topic is, but on what the thread topic is...with the LP on for fridges, seems a little strange to me. I didn't read the 2nd page, so if this has been asked already, forgive me.

Does everyone not have 3-way fridges, that are powered by your tow vehicle when hooked up for towing? Mine does ('08 28 foot Dutchmen Aristocrat), and it's a dream! Only need gas for Hot Water, and when I don't have electrical at a site.

Just a thought.

Thanks!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Mine too! no 12v. I wish it did though. My old popup's had the 12v and we used it all the time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In regards to the 110/12v refrigerator issue, the easiest solution I found during my travel trailer days, was to wire in a power inverter (12v to 110) and run the fridge off that while traveling. less than $150 in materials and gadgets, did the work myself, problem solved

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you keep your propane bottles open while traveling down the road to operate the fridge? I think most people do, I was told to, but I have heard from a few people that they actually dont do this.
I had to re-read this thread and make sure I hadn't already replied to it. The reason this popped into my mind is that I'm not sure the Dometic fridge can run on 12V. As such, it needs either propane or 110VAC.

DW and I had a "stupid" moment when we pulled into San Antonio over New Years in a quick trip from Houston. Noted the fridge wasn't quite down to temp but thought nothing of it. Same thing happened on the way back. :bang: Then it hit us... the fridge won't fly on 12V so that is where we pulled out our taped walk thru when we bought the trailer. In it, they guy said, "we can't recommend you run the propane while traveling, but let's just say that many folks do run it to keep the fridge down to temp."

We don't have a problem when we load up for a trip as our RV is in a yard where there is power so our beast is plugged in 24/7 so the fridge is already cooled.

Our biggest problem is making sure when we put it bed in the storage yard that the gas switch is off for the water heater and that one of us has turned off the electric side of the water heater.

David :icon_smile_bbq:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I found with the 12V in the popups, I had so run a shore line to the pup the day before, get the fridge nice and cold. The whole idea behind the 12v is to keep an already cold fridge cold. It was never designed to get the fridge cold by itself. That's what I liked about it. On a long trip the fridge is still cold and none of the food spoils. With the new trailer (travel Trailer) it always pluged in to the shore line at home once we pack up the fridge before we go, usually the night before, the fridge stays locked until we get to our destination. Never had a problem yet. If we do stop for some reason I'll put the gas on to cool it off and turn it off before we leave again. I found that the gas cools off the fridge quicker the shore line. anyone else find that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our generator, refrigerator, and some other appliances all run off liquid propane. We have to use these on moving day to keep these appliances working.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts