Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Camping Fanatic
1,199 Posts
Its not limiting us too much right now. I still tow with a gasser, and 87 octane here is around $3/gallon give or take.

So, we are already limited by the tow truck, because its a 2000 Ram and doesnt have the tow gear. I have to tow in drive, and when I am pulling the camper down the interstate at 60 plus MPH, i am turning over 3000 RPM and it is burning some gas!! Its just not fun towing like this for long distances. The fartherst I have gone is 4 hours, and I swore I wouldnt do it again with that truck.

So,I plan to get a diesel next year. I dont know if it will limit our travels, but I doubt it. We will only go so far on a normal weekend anyway. On long weekends we will go further, but that is only every once in a while, so I dont think it will deter us any.

·
Camping Fanatic
1,199 Posts
Outch :bang:

That is rich for my blood.

Of course, I guess it all depends on mileage too. I pay $3 plus a gallon for gas, but I average about 8 MPG when towing. If diesel was $4 a gallon, but I got twice the miles per gallon, it may not be so bad. A few friends have dodge ram diesels and they said they get 15-17 mpg towing. I could live with that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.