My daughter has poison Oak sooooo bad, it's everywhere, anybody have any secrets to stop the spreading? I have tried all the usual over the counter stuff. She must be allergic because nobody else got it and we were all at the same place.
We always used calamine lotion, but its not a cure, just an anti itching solution. I havent tried any of the remedies before, but its very common down here too so if you find that one works good, let us know, may come in handy. I get it at least a couple times a year.
It isn't necessarily a remedy to dry out what you have, but it sure could help keep you from spreading it by itching at it, because I know it works fabulously for taking that desperate need to itch out of most itchy situations.
Pair some Gold Bond with some Benadryl to help cut down the hystamine causing the skin sores and it "might" get you out of the woods a little early. (no pun intended)
Distraction is always a good tactic too for little ones. If you can get them completely emersed in something else, they won't scratch at themselves as much. Maybe rent a new game for a video games system, or rent some new movies that will keep them distracted.
I really hope she feels better soon. It breaks my heart to hear of little ones being uncomfy!
I use Calamine lotion for all rashes such as Poison Ivy. They've never had Poison Oak rash before. If that doesn't help I use Hydrogen Peroxide for skin cuts. It's seems to help with killing the germs, and healing. Aloe would also help.
Thanks everyone! Oatmeal baths seem to be working, but here "scabs" are getting infected... So off to the Dr I guess, I hate going to the Dr. I remember when I was younger I got blood poisoning from the poison oak infection....so off to the Doc we go
If the scabs aren't too badly infected you can put a triple antibiotic ointment on them. For future reference there is a product out called Ivy Dry. I have used it in the past and I find it to be the best thing out there. It is a liquid with a little sponge applicator on top of the bottle, you just dab it on the spots and it drys them up. I used to have to go to the doctor to get a steroid pak, but now at the first sign of an outbreak I start using Ivy Dry and I don't seem to ahve any problems.
The advice for healing the Poison Oak quickly with Ivy Dry. I will remember to get that. I am always looking in Rite Aid for things to heal the girls cuts better. I saw a Tea Tree oil stick that is suppose to be used on cuts, scrapes, and skin infections. I was going to get it, because right now I have a triple antibiotic cream. It heals them very well.