Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to tent camping, and new here.
We are going our first tent camping next weekend and were given this big old Aluminum pole Grentland family tent by dh's co worker. The tent is nice and big, husband and the kids camped out last night to try out but they had to wake up with rain in the tent this morning. The tent is leaking on the sides (the fabric is old, so it has weak spots). My husband wants to get a new tent but I wanted to know if we can use some kind of tarp to salvage this tent.
Thank you in advance for your advice.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
I agree with Smokey - you have those heavy duty poles that will hold up a tarp. Get one much bigger than the tent, stake it out, and now you have plenty of area under it to sit if it's raining, cook if it's raining, etc. I did that for years with an old tent like that

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is a bit of thread necromancy, but I didn't notice anyone mention using CAMP DRY spray on it. Clean and dry out the tent completely, then spray it down all over with camp dry and that hopefully will seal it up. Also make sure nothing inside the tent touches the walls, that will cause it to leak due to the contact.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It the tent is getting old and the fabric is getting weakspots, then if you only fix leaking parts it will only be a matter of a short time before other weakspots form and then you'll be throwing more money and time at a problem over and over again. You may as well get something new.

Reactions: Joelvis

·
Registered
83 Posts
It the tent is getting old and the fabric is getting weakspots, then if you only fix leaking parts it will only be a matter of a short time before other weakspots form and then you'll be throwing more money and time at a problem over and over again. You may as well get something new.
I agree. Even the best tents can only last for so long. Investing on a new tent would be the most viable option if your tent has been with you for quite some time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would go with the tarp idea first. OP said they were new to camping. Best to take the cheapest and easiest route first - until you decide if you are really into it. Plus, after a few outings you will have a better idea of your family's tent needs. You can't intelligently buy a tent if you don't have an idea of what you need or want first.

Another plus - if you do enjoy it enough to get a good tent, that cheap tarp will work as a dining tarp later.

Gus
"Of course I trust my political representatives ... just not with my liberties or my wallet" :Camping with Gus

·
Registered
265 Posts
You mentioned the sides leaked. Did someone touch them, cause that will make them leak.
As Shadow mentioned, Camp Dry will work if the tent isn't that bad of shape.You will need to treat the whole tent.
If it's a borrowed tent, don't want to spend the money or you don't think the Camp Dry will work. I like the tarp idea. You can also use it for a Dining Fly.
Gus has valid points on someone new to the camping experience.

·
Registered
86 Posts
we used tarps ,,, 20 x 30 suspended high above the tent and later on the pop up ,,, you do need trees around the lot but then its just a matter of getting a long rope up over a high limb ,, then over another and attach the 2 ends of the tarp and haul it up then run ropes the sides to hold it out ,, keeps the edges higher up so you will have freedom underneath the tarp.... we had major wind and rainstorms and stayed as dry as can be underneath :) if you are in a field the you will need to stake it down of course some simple waterproofing will benefit you greatly though :)
just my thoughts on what worked for us :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to tent camping, and new here.
We are going our first tent camping next weekend and were given this big old Aluminum pole Grentland family tent by dh's co worker. The tent is nice and big, husband and the kids camped out last night to try out but they had to wake up with rain in the tent this morning. The tent is leaking on the sides (the fabric is old, so it has weak spots). My husband wants to get a new tent but I wanted to know if we can use some kind of tarp to salvage this tent.
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Best thing to do is get a new one and use some sort of seam sealer.

Gear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts