Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an '04 Fleetwood Wildnerness Advantage 31' fifthwheel. I will probably take it out for the first time next spring as it is being garaged for the winter. I want to put a 3' platform on the back of it and carry a Yamaha 650 VStar motorcyle which weights about 640 lbs. Does anyone know if this is feasible, or if it will make it pull badly? The person I bought it from thinks it will mess up the balance which will not pull well or weave. I have seen them on the road, but have never talked to anyone who has done it. Any ideas or suggestions ? Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
483 Posts
Like anything else that you add to your trailer it will ADD weight, I know that seems obvious but the reason I say this is beacuse your adding roughly 700 pounds to the ass end, this WILL effect travel as it will take 700 pounds off your truck that you cannot adjust for!

Our fifth wheeled members will be able to say more about this but you do have an advantage over us Travel Trailer guys, you can add a trailer at the back!

From what I understand you are allowed to travel with a Fifth Wheel trailer and an additional trailer off the bumper, assuming of cousre it's safe!

However according to road laws us Travel Trailer guys cannot do the same..
You figure that one out???

·
Registered
271 Posts
added weight

you need your GVRW for the trailer and the truck, then see if it will put you over. that includes everything you'll load on the camper, adding 1 700 lb item will take away a lot from what up can pack. IF your OK there, you need to see if adding that much weight on the back will make the front to light, truck won't handle right and could be dangerous. i think you should have about 20% of the total trailer weight as the hitch weight. there's a lot to figure adding that much on the back.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i have seen them back there also. do your homework. check out the weight on everything, as previously stated. find out if the hitch ,in the back, will hold that much weight. will it void your warranty. if you still have one.
towing an extra trailer is not allowed in a lot of states. in the east it is not an option. again do some research and find out what states you can or can not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Followup to my fifthwheel question to start this thread

I pulled my 31' fifth wheel for 9 years. I welded a 36" platform and extended the bumper. I carried a street legal trail bike on it part of the time, a generator on it all the time, bicycles, spare equipment, and even a 5' chest freezer on a 15 week trip across the county and to Alaska and back. When you have a 3500 Cumins diesel, and a fifth wheel, weight is not an issue, not even crossing the Rocky Mountains several times. I traveled heavy but not out of tolerances and never had a problem of any type short of one flat on the fifth wheel and spending a whole lot of diesel fuel. I now have a Honda Ridgeline and pull a Winnebago Micro Minnie with a slide out, so have to watch weight very carefully, I don't even travel with a full water tank.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like an epic journey Vonheise. Wouldn't like to pull that lot on our English lanes. Even normal sized cars end up with greenery clinging to side mirrors, as they are that narrow:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts