121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good Morning Campers :coffee:

found this interesting idea on FaceBook:
View attachment 3203

looks easy enough to build, if you have a welder... :unsure:
Its an old idea I first saw it in writings by Nessmuk (George w. Sears) and Kephart (from the early 1900s). The only "new" part is to make it out of steel.

Much that they wrote about is still largely applicable today and I find the history of camping to be interesting.

If a person needs to weld something it is possible to use 2 or 3 (2 should be adequate) lead-acid automotive starting batteries in series, that are in good shape, along with heavy duty jumper cables, a welding rod holder (stinger) and at least #10 welding lens to protect your eyes from the harmful U-V and ultra bright light generated by the electrical arc.cutting goggles are not enough ... along with welding rod, of course.

I don't really recommend doing it; but if you do USE EXTREME CAUTION , IT CAN BE HAZARDOUS.

I favor (6010) 1/8" rod for random (dirty) off road and/or agricultural applications. but pretty much any rod in the 1/8 to 5/32 inch range can be used to weld with batteries
Be aware that there is a potential for battery explosion and fire along with eye damage, including blindness, if you don't use proper welding eye and personal protection.
Also chipping the slag from the welds makes it go every where; use eye goggles, (its as sharp as broken glass).

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·

late cup of coffee... but i just finished the framing for my CNC machine shed platform. this weekend, i hope to get it squared up, and install the flooring. :D

Reactions: Happy Joe

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·

for those in the US, today is Labor Day, a holiday where we celebrate all those who worked before us, and put in place all the worker's rights we have today! just imagine what life would be like today without those rights.

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·

the floor platform of my CNC router table machine shed is done. now i must wait for the Federal IRS to release my tax return, as i have run out of money for more material. for some reason they have it delayed, even though it was sent in electronically.

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·

the temps are getting cooler, as today has a high of 62F, here. i like fall, but not so much winter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good Morning!
Yep!, fall is just around the corner: I might still be able to get a quick weekend in the mountains, though. (I would expect lows in the 40s at night).
It should be in the 70s and 80s today, locally (with a chance of rain this afternoon). Expected lows in the 50s at night.
Today's project; find the leak in my windshield washer....reservoir or hoses

Enjoy!

Reactions: travis.farmer

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 · (Edited)

Mild rant: so, the IRS has had my tax refund documents (via E-File) for several months now. they were prepared by an accountant, so i have faith they are correct. yet i have not received my refund yet... the IRS website status checker only says the processing is delayed, but without any more information as to why.
Just aggravating, as i really need the money...

anyway, i have been puttering on a few things... just to keep busy.

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·

outside temps are dropping, currently 46F here where i am, in Maine, USA.

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·

now that the acorns are dropping from the oak trees on my lawn, i have been seeing a rise in white-tailed deer on the lawn to feed. always enjoyable to watch them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
A friend dropped off an old Alienware (Dell) desktop computer (Aurora R3);

So I will have a new hobby project for a week or two;
Need to hack into it (the previous owner passed away without telling anyone his password), or reinstall the operating system then update it & add anti-virus etc, etc...
Its got Windows 7 home premium (not sure if its worth upgrading it to a better version), a decent, older, video card (Radeon 6800 family), a 1TB hard drive and provision for 3 more hard drives. Its a possible replacement for the entertainment center computer; since it supports media center...
The biggest downside, other than its huge heavy case, is that it only has a, relatively slow (2.8 ghz), 4 core processor... should still be adequate for moderate gaming, internet and movies, though.

Enjoy!

Reactions: travis.farmer

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·

i wish my cell phone would take pictures through a window and screen... there are 6+ White-Tailed Deer on my lawn (in-town), feeding on the acorn drops under the large oak trees.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts