Camper Community Forums banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Good Morning Campers :coffee:

Looking like a good weekend, weather-wise, for my spot in this world. maybe i can get done this weekend, what i was unable to do last weekend. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good Morning!
Forecast says low 80s today ('way too early for these temperature, IMO) no rain in sight.

I was told that there are fire bans for camping already; "no open flame", fire bans this early, do not bode well for the upcoming camping season... (camping without a fire is like smores without chocolate, IMO (OK but far from great).

I guess its time to reconsider microwave, solar and induction cooking for camping...
limited microwave use looks do-able, I have done very limited induction cooking using batteries, I was able to do solar cooking back in the '70's/'80's. ... time to evaluate new technologies and run some numbers, I guess...

...perhaps a larger propane genny, or fuel cell tech (just for cooking)...

Enjoy!

Reactions: travis.farmer

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·

Sadly the weekend is over, and it is back to work, for me.

high fire danger here, as well. but the leaves and grass have not yet fully woken up from winter yet, either.
but it is in times of fire danger, that i really like a camper/RV ;)

But i fully understand what you say:
camping without a fire is like smores without chocolate
i do like a good campfire.

Reactions: Happy Joe

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good Morning all...

It was chilly last night (had to turn the furnace back on)... the drought is still here; the lawn has basically died (only showing green in spots and around some edges)...

Found some of the new cheez-it Puff'd snacks at the grocery yesterday... massively disappointed - they are (pretty generic flavored) just another shape of cheese puffs (cheez-its with extra cheese are still one of my favorite snack crackers though).

This week's project; determine and order (or make) some, 100 amp minimum, interconnection cables for the 100 AH battery and inverter.

Thinking about a bread machine (for the kitchen) ...nothing to do with camping. Fresh Bread is Great (and fattening)...

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

it is a terrible thing, being poor... all my major projects are funded by IRS tax returns. so any major purchase for a project has to wait for the tax return. :(
this year's return has priority obligations to go toward a large shed i need to build. sadly, this will slow down my camper renovation, but it is not dead.

on the plus side, i have a roof over my head, my bills get paid, for the most-part, and i have a job. there are many people that can't say the same!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Friends have put up steel buildings and also stick built sheds, using (mostly) their own labor, for a considerable savings.

I try to keep the projects relatively small, myself (confined to maintenance and a bit of remodeling).
I should budget a new driveway though... (perhaps next year).
Not completely sure what to do now that my main (cash) contractor has fled to the free state of Florida... probably I'll break the projects in to bite sized pieces so that I can handle them myself. (More secure front and back doors are high on the list).

I am currently installing a whole house security alarm system, a piece (window/door/room) at a time to keep the costs down.

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·

warmer weather has finally started to hit Maine, USA! got up into the 70s yesterday! :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good morning!
70s ... Sounds good!
Potentially; 60s today with a chance of rain showers...
Life has been getting in the way of my preferences... had to install a used door in an older trailer home for some friends (nothing square; not the door nor the doorway)...
...Having internet issues currently...
Th DD (daily driver is scheduled to get pre (camping) season service on the 13th (hope its not an omen).
Just realized that the information that I have been operating under in relation to fire bans may be erroneous (will try to get verbal conformation from the local forest service offices.. to clarify).

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

some may or may not know, but i am high-functioning autistic. i know that is no longer the proper term for it, as "high-functioning" is no longer used. basically, i am simply autistic, with a IQ of 111.
the reason i mention this, is i was called to Jury Duty selection last friday. it was very overwhelming, and loud... so i haven't posted much since as it took me that long to settle back into my groove again.

today, as it is Mothers Day (here is the states), and i will be going out to eat with my mother and 92 year old grandmother. should be good food, where we are going, but usually a LOT of noise (earplugs help). i will likely be dining on buffalo seasoned chicken tenders, with garlic mashed potato, and a bowl of chilli. :D (one of my autistic stims is spicy food, though it usually doesn't agree with me ;) )

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

Weather is really getting warmer now. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good Morning!

It been very warm and dry here in central Colorado;
...just looked out the window and there is still snow on Pike's Peak but the lower mountains appear to be largely snow free (at least as far as I can see from here)..

Probably still winter camping conditions at night in the mountains...

Forecasts say highs in the upper 70's and 80's; dry and windy for the next week or so.
There is a red flag fire warning in place for at least the next couple of days for most of the state south of Denver.

...Looks like its about time to get out the portable propane fire pit...

I really need to get serious about a replacement lawnmower...

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·

I haven't been hugely active here as i have had a lot on my mind.

weather today looks good, and where i am out of work until my employer is finished helping the "evil" contractor i won't work for... i may be able to work on my camper a bit, if only to get a few things i have already purchased (a while ago), and have not gotten around to installing yet.

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

things are looking pretty green, here in Maine USA. trees are almost completely leafed out. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good Morning!...

Weather is supposed to be cooler with a chance of rain (or snow depending on altitude) ... Hope we get enough to green up the weeds...

I need to start making calls in an attempt to gather a bunch of friends for camping over memorial day weekend...

Had a pretty nasty bug for a couple of days (fever, sore throat etc...). Ivermectin and its associated pills (vit. C, D & zinc) seem to have stopped it cold. (its now my primarary antiviral series).

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·

The weekend is upon us, once we get through today!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good morning!
Today's forecast says lows in the 30s with 3 to 5 inches of snow tonight...
I doubt that I will venture out; too many people can't seem to remember how to drive, and stop, in the slop!

... awaiting delivery of two new 30 pound propane tanks!...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Apparently the power failed sometime last night..
It was still off this morning;
So... in order to prevent an imminent disaster (morning without coffee) out came the camping gear/stove and the ol' percolator...
...Also fired up the inverter and the 700 watt mini microwave...
Breakfast was coffee and battery powered, re heated Pizza (yesterday was pizza night).

...eaten while looking out at the snow coming down and the 6" or so on the ground!

Life is good! (and warm since I, also, fired up a small, blue flame, propane heater temporarily...
The power came on after a couple of hours and every thing is once again operational.

Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
5th Wheel Camper
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Apparently the power failed sometime last night..
It was still off this morning;
So... in order to prevent an imminent disaster (morning without coffee) out came the camping gear/stove and the ol' percolator...
...Also fired up the inverter and the 700 watt mini microwave...
Breakfast was coffee and battery powered, re heated Pizza (yesterday was pizza night).

...eaten while looking out at the snow coming down and the 6" or so on the ground!

Life is good! (and warm since I, also, fired up a small, blue flame, propane heater temporarily...
The power came on after a couple of hours and every thing is once again operational.

Enjoy!
always nice, when you realize that in the event of an issue, that you are already prepared.
i have a standby generator i bought used off Craigslist, and got running good. it is hooked up to the furnaces, and a few outlets, though i have yet to add more circuits. i wish the kitchen stove was tied in, but not yet. though with these new electronic stoves, if the power blips, the oven turns off, and loses the timer, regardless of the generator.

now, what's this about snow?? 6" you say?? i could say i have sympathy for your situation... but i just had to kick on the A/C as it is approaching 80F ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
The streets are basically clear, now, I don't see any real issues with the snow, but then its supposed to get cooler tonight and snow some more... the weeds really need the moisture!
This weather might reach you in a week or so!

Enjoy!

61 - 80 of 82 Posts