CamperCommunity Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone, I've lurked here a little bit and decided to pull a chair up to the fire and introduce myself.

I grew up in a 100+ year old farmhouse (attic bedroom, no a/c) and one summer (when I was about 9 years old) it was just TOO HOT so I took some blankets and an old tarp and slept out under the stars in the back yard. Oh did that ever start something!

Eventually my dad bought this HUGE, heavy, canvas "bell" tent (an 8 man one) that we'd set up at the start of summer and leave for the season. During the hot summers I'd sleep on a cot out in that tent far more than I slept in that hot attic bedroom.

As I got older I started ranging away from the yard, often wandering up into the mountain behind our property and camping out up there. Of course friends started joining me and it just turned into a regular thing we all did.

30 years later I'm married to a woman who loves tents as much as I do and we still get out on a regular basis doing everything from absolute minimalist backpacking all the way up to "Shameless Car Camping" (including the kitchen sink <grin>).

No R/V yet but as I get older and the ground gets harder I suppose that will happen someday

Ze

·
Registered
735 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great story.

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to pull up a chair.

We used to have a canvas mansion when I was a kid. Man I can still smell that thing. That was camping to me. I was lucky enough to find a woman who loves to camp also, well it was a requirement really :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
O.M.G ! my life story ! lol, just kidding, it amazes me how most of us start in tents, and graduate to campers. when I was in my 20s-30s I poked fun at folks in R.V.s to myself and then wife, but now that I've full-timed, and been around I realize, we graduate to campers because our backs get bad and we can't take the cold ground anymore, lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome

I don't post often, but I try to welcome new members. I remember that kind of tent. Our church youth group used them to camp at the ocean in WA state. For some reason, they always put them up with the door facing the ocean and I always had the spot by the door. No problem with too dry or too hot by morning:rotflmao1:Anyway, welcome. kkd

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sorry for the delayed welcome, welcome to our little corner of the camping web :10220:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts