Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2004 Damon Daybreak with a rubber roof & I noticed structural damage at the back corner where stairs attach to the roof. It runs from the end cap and encompasses about 10 sf. The structure underneath appears rotten & can feel the ceiling joists, but whatever covers the structure, maybe plywood(?) is just gone! However, there is no visible damage inside, just a faint dark area at the corner of the bedroom ceiling/side wall.

In this great recession I'm stuck with repairing myself & I'm pretty handy at most mechanical and building projects, but this is new territory for me. Anybody know how I should proceed?

I know I'll have to take the end cap trim off after I remove the plumbers putty at each screw location and take off the side rail (however that works) & I guess pull back the rubber, & go to work. But it would be good to know what to expect under the rubber roof. Thanks in advance to anyone with experience

cbass

·
Registered
971 Posts
Not knowing how qualified you are, I can say, I've read about others who have been successful at repairing an RV roof. There will be material costs and when demolishing the area to be fixed, you'll need to identify all the different materials you'll need for the repair.

Learn the proper materials, too. It's not plumber's putty, nor is anything silicon-based EVER to be used on the roof. You might try visiting an RV shop and ask for their recommendations.

RV stuff can be different than home and automotive. You'll also find that since RVs are not as prevalent as homes and automobiles that materials can be harder to find and thereforemore expensive. Doing your own labor will help a lot and hopefully you don't need much material but don't be surprised if you need a lot of different material (wood, plastic, metal, insulation, adhesive, sealants, etc. etc.)

You might try searching YouTube for some ideas, but full on roof repair may not be covered. You might try an internet search for other websites that cover this.

Good luck with the repair. I hope you let us know what you do so we can all learn and share.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts