Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Heather married to Chris and we will begin full time RV living the first of May. We love using our RV for play, but due to cuts at his work and the economy in general, we feel it is time to live WAY more frugally. What better way than doing it while doing something we love?

I know I have a lot of adjustments to make. We will sell what we can, donate some, and store the rest.

Any advice to RV living with 2 children?

·
Registered
505 Posts
:welcome:

Hmmm... living with two kids in an RV.... I would say stock up on alcohol and ear plugs! :rotflmao1: Just kidding!

You will probably find that the simplicity REQUIRED by living small will actually free you up alot! Less clutter, less places for things to hide.

Find things that serve a dual purpose, that way the space they take is used most wisely. I have a salad shooter that is also a mixer, (Amazon.com: Presto Salad Shooter/mixer/slicer: Kitchen & Dining) AND if I fill a pitcher full of my favorite beverage and use the mixer in it... I have a make shift blender too!

They have those micro-fiber towels that are really thin but SO absorbent. (REI MultiTowel - XX Large at REI.com) This way, you won't have big fluffy towels hogging all your storage space.

No matter HOW much you love each other... join a gym or find a community center to be able to get away to. This will give you some time that you aren't all packed in together. :carolers:

You will have to keep us posted on the kinds of tricks you pick up!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found these great kitchen things. I got some from Avon here in Canada. They are collapsable measuring cups, measuring spoons, strainers and now Iv'e seen bowls. I got some for our trailer though, I haven't been able to use them yet, as we still have snow on the ground. (Getting sick of it also!) Great space saver!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the suggestions.

The RV park we will be staying at full time is huge and has a lot of recreation areas, including a family pool and a playground. It has 4 buildings with tables, Tv's, and other rec stuff. They also have some laundries and each building has family style bathrooms. I am very impressed with it. I also homeschool my children, so that is gonna be an experience, right?

I will be spending all of April liquidating our stuff and getting down to the basics. My biggest issue? I read several books at once and keep a large supply on hand. Right now I have 12 on my nightstand. I want to be able to have my books. I am thinking of having dear hubby build me a bookcase in one of the underneath storage compartments.

I think I will miss most my hot bath soak nightly. I will have to make use of the park's hot tub.

We will still travel on weekends when my husband is not working. This also frees us up to jet off somewhere else if he gets another job.

I love the fact that no matter where we go, we have all the comforts of home. :D

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
:welcome: Welcome aboard.

The one thing I would be concerned about is the size of your trailer, which you didn't mention, and the ages of your kids. While you may think you have enough room now, as the kids get bigger, the trailer gets smaller. When we first got ours, it was plenty roomy for the 4 of us. Then came unexpected number 5, and each year it gets more and more cramped. You will probably also need to plan on trailer replacement on a regular schedule (every 5 or 10 years, something like that). Living in one full time will put plenty of wear and tear on it, as most aren't designed for that.

Congrats on your new lifestyle - I am jealous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have a 31' fifth wheel. Our kids that will travel with us are 11 & 3 ( also have a son named Tucker, LOL). We plan on upgrading our RV soon, even though we just got this one.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
That's a lot bigger than mine - y'all should be fine.

Now if you tell me you named him Tucker because that was your maternal grandmother's maiden name, we have TOO much of a coincidence :rotflmao1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts