Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

We are a family of 5 from Lancaster Co., PA (3 young children). We're new to the whole camping thing so are looking to gain some valuable experience/advice from more seasoned campers. Although we'd LOVE to own an RV, we are tent-only campers. Looking forward to actively participating on the site! :10220:

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with tent camping, some of my fondest memories are from tent camping with my parents. I have a feeling tent camping up there in PA is much nicer than tent camping here in TN in July and August :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have a pretty big and ridiculous RV - ceiling fans, fireplace, French Doors, microwave, convection oven, etc. but I still use a tent often enough! Nothing wrong with that. Getting out and enjoying something outside the four walls of your "stickhome" can be a wonderful time to create new memories and friendships.

I have several base camp tents, and even a tent that sets on on my truck bed. In a week I will be using my very small tent in the backwoods on a 50 mile backpacking trip and weather permitting I might not even set it up!

Whatever you use, it will be instrumental in creating experiences much more fun to talk about than staying home.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My best memories of tent camping well old school camping are from my days in the Army. Being in the middle of Louisiana swamps we did a lot of camping. Well now I have upgraded and we use my wife's parents 5th wheel. But camping doesn't always have to be about the luxuries. Some of my best days were just roughing it with the tent and sleeping bag. So, enjoy your starter days cause once you go Rv you never go back.
:rotflmao1:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No doubt it creates some great memories. We've only gone out twice so far this summer and they are some of the best memories we've ever had as a family. We're gonna try for a 3rd trip next month! Thanks for the replies, it's good to "meet" you all!

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's been quite awhile since I tent camped, like you all, it brings back some fond memories. I' sure you will be making your own.

Just one quick one. I used a blow up water raft as an air mattress. My father said it wasn't a good idea. The next camping trip he brought a bigger raft for himself. That was back in my Boy Scout days. It worked better than leaves under the bag. No floor in the old baker tents.

Enjoy your camping life.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That is a great idea about the raft, this way you don't have to bring a air mattress then.
I don't remember if they had air mattresses back then, that's why I used a raft.:shrug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts