Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from southeast Louisiana. I have been wanting to buy a small starter pop-up for a while now. Something to get me and the wife out in the great wide open. No way will she go camping in a tent - no a/c. In southeast Louisiana, this is almost a necessity for enjoying the summer months outside.
Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and say hello before I start posting my questions in other threads.
Other than enjoying the outside, I am active in ham radio and bicycling. Not necessarily together.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Make sure the popup you get has an A/C unit. A lot of them do not. Another thing, even with the A/C unit it will struggle to keep a popup cool since in real hot weather most RVs don't have the best insulation and pop fabric is even worse about keeping things cool. I also hear that Louisiana summer are quite humid which will task an A/C unit's cooling ability.

Some ideas: Park in shade rather than open campsites; Try to avoid the hottest temps if possible; Higher altitudes would also help, but there aren't many in Louisiana. Add some fans to help circulate an cold air the A/C can generate, but watch the power requirements. An A/C can tie up a 110v circuit all by itself, and leave little left for a fan. If the A/C runs on 12v, then it won't be a very good unit. You'll need about 11,000 to 13,000 BTUs, but the best would be 15,000 BTUs if the power system can take it.

Even with all this don't expect much more than 10 to 15 degrees in cooling difference. This means that if it's 100 degrees outside and the humidity adds about 5 degrees, the trailer might only get down to 90 to 95 degrees inside.

You might end up using your bicycle for generating more power. Then I'm not sure if you'd have enough power left over for the Ham Radio... :). The things we do for our wives!

Welcome!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.