Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody !!!:10220:
My Husband and I are new to 5Th wheel camping. We had a 26' TT previously. Used it a half dozen times then traded up to this "new to us" 5er.
Looking forward to chatting with everyone as well as benefiting from all advice and experiences.

Our camping season is very short. Looking forward to enjoying our "new" unit.

When we do get out we love going to America. Hoping to get around the Oregon area this year :)

Take care Everyone:thumbup1:

Hugs
Jo

·
Registered
162 Posts
new 5ver welcome

When you come to Oregon I think you'll be very impressed. There are many opportunities for RVers along the coast and throughout the state. We know how to do camping. Hope to see you, Gerry

·
Registered
971 Posts
We made the same move from TT to 5th wheel and were surprised by the differences. Here's what we noticed very quickly.

With the TT we could feel the drag. The 5th wheel feels like part of the tow vehicle just that it's heavier.

Getting used to the fiver right in your rear view mirror took some getting used to, but now I'm more expert using the side view mirrors and only used the rear view mirror to help with trailer hookup.

Shorter overall length. Even though we had a 27' trailer (about 31' overall length including the tongue and hitch) the overall length of the tow vehicle and trailer combination was longer than with our tow vehicle and our 38' fifth wheel. Go figure.

The fifth wheel is not as prone to wind or passing vehicles than the sway of the travel trailer.

The fifth wheel tow seems more smooth than the bumper tow travel trailer. I think it's because where the hitch is located. For a travel trailer, it's behind the truck and for a fifth wheel it's pretty much on top of the rear axle.

It's sure seems like all tow vehicles can tow a heavier fifth wheel than towing at the bumper. This means you might get more trailer with a fifth wheel.

Anyway, there's a few differences we noticed pretty quick. There are probably even more but I'm getting long in the tooth.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That is awesome, congrats! So, now that you have any additional 17' how how much of that went into the bathroom area and actual height in the show. I'm considering in the future of purchasing a 5th wheel but being 6'5" I wonder if the shower will be large enough for me to fit in or would I need to use a chair.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Joe,

Newer 5th wheels have gone to a shower stall and away from the full bath shower. The bottom of the stalls are lower to the floor than the bath tubs. This means you gain some height. Stalls are generally also taller because they are placed at the "hump" of a fifth wheel which allows for more height. Lastly every rig I've seen all use a "domed skylight" conveniently positioned over the shower to raise the ceiling. While you might not be able to wear your 10 gallon hat in the shower like I do, you might be able to fit under more than you think.

Go to an RV show, and don't be shy about taking off your shoes and stepping into a shower to try it out. All showers have removable, flexible shower head hoses and you should go through the motions just to see.

I know quite a few very tall men who get this to work. I can't say any more than that because I'm an average 5'9" male that doesn't have too many fit problems with most facilities.

You might be surprised to find a fifth wheel might suit your height better than a travel trailer.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Welcome fellow Canadian Jo!!!! Congrats on the new 5er!!!! I hope you're having great time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts