Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
So happy to be a part of a rv community where I could possibly get some answers about my rv woes.

So, here we go!

After winter storage I pulled out the batteries to hook back up to trailer. (pretty sure I hooked them up properly for parallel conection).

After hooking them up I started with other de-winterizing duties;ie........flushing anitfreeze, making sure propane flows, checking water heater, etc.

When I plugged the rv into our 110 outlet, to allow re-charging of the batteries, everything seemed fine for a few minutes. I had a few lights on while taking care of my duties and noticed the lights dimming. Then I had no power at all.

I went to investigate and checked the (outside outlet) gfi switch had activated, hmmmmm, so I punched the breaker switch, good to go! Right? Not so fast, because as soon as I plugged the rv back in it simply tripped the gfi again.

I checked the battery connection and decieded I had hooked them up improperly and corrected that problem.

But now, I still can't get the gfi to work. It's as if there is a short somewhere in my system.

In the mean time I pulled out the batteries and put them on a charger. After 2 hours of charging they weren't taking a charge. They are DEAD! I didn't know one was to trickle charge these batteries while in winter storage. OK, so they are about at the age of needing replacement anyway.

I've checked all breakers/fuses and all good!

Could the controller be at fault, maybe I fried it?

What about the power inverter?

I was fireing up the water heater at the time and didn't realize it had no water in it, possibly frying the heater start up element , but don't see how that would keep poping the gfi?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did you have your hot water heater on electric? If you did with no water in it you probably fried the element. If you kept it on electric that might explain why the gfi keeps tripping.
Is there water in the batteries? They could be shorting out. If you can take a 12 volt out of a car and try it in the trailer. See what happens. Leave it unplugged from the gfi and see if the 12 volt syestem works.
You might have fried the gfi also.
I am by no means an electrician, there is a lot that could of went wrong. Check out the easy stuff first. If you don't feel comfortable messing with the 110 side then don't you could get hurt.
My son's trailer kept blowing the fuse for the garage, but all the lights and tools worked in it. It drove me nuts for awhile. I replace two outside outlets. They where rusted up pretty bad. My son just parked his trailer back there again and there was no problem. I guess one or both where shorting out. I just couldn't figure why everything else worked in the garage.
Good luck. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge will see the thread and be able to help more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there!
That's some pretty helpfull sugestions.
Thanks!
I think we may have narrowed things down a bit. Just couldn't imagine it being the trailer.
Did have the batteries checked and scored pretty low. However I didn't replace em' yet.
Wen't home put batteries in "properly" then plugged into a 110 house outlet. Worked just fine! Hurray!
I'm sure the batteries were spent so plan on leaving it to charge for 4 days.
Then I'll see if they will hold a charge.
Nope, water heater is propane powered and is working just fine.
I halfway suspect, as you do, the gfi breaker. Was made in Mexico and I dought the life is very long.
Plan on replacing it and the "box" breaker with 30 amp outlet and breaker.
I just think over the years it can't handle things anymore!
Thanks very much for yer' input though! I appreciate it.
So long fer now!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm glad that it all worked out. Messing with electric can be a big pain in the butt.
Welcome to the club. I forgot my manners on my first response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.