Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a community... so lets commune! :)

Some of us call each other by our screen names, which is fine... but I thought maybe we could all introduce ourselves to get to know each other a little better.

It's easy... I'll even go first:

Hello... My name is Shannon. I live in Pennsylvania....

Oh wait, this is sounding like an AA introduction huh????? :rotflmao1:

But seriously. Let all answer a few questions about ourselves.

1. "Real" first name
2. How long have you been camping
3. Give us some general details of what you camp in/with. (ex. make, model, year of camper... kind of tent... brand of backpack & hammock)
4. Your favorite thing about camping. TRY to keep this to one or two top favorites.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. Real name is Shannon
2. I camped a few times as a kid with my father and then picked it back up as soon as my kids got old enough to go. (About 3 years ago)
3. I camp in a 10' x 14' Trek Canvas Tent... affectionately called the Canvas Mansion.
4. My favorite thing about camping is building memories with my kids!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been camping pretty steady since High School. Like I mentioned in my "intro" thread, I used to be a hiker/canoeist/tenter, what I could carry in my "mode of transportation", be it by foot or canoe would be what I could camp with.

Oh yeah, my real name is Tarcy - yes, Tarcy, not Tracy. I'm a boy who likes to barbecue.:icon_smile_bbq:

Anyway, I've got a wife and two little girls who are learning about the camping - and when they get older, I'll put 'em into the "nylon mansion" - our big ass tent, so they can sleep w/nature, too, like I did.

Anyway, we have a travel trailer - 28 foot Dutchmen Aristocrat. My wife thinks bears are an issue - which they aren't, if you're doing the right things...but whatever, the trailer gets her out, so we have a trailer.

And, granted, the bed's more comfy than the ground with an air mattress. And warmer. I'm gettin' soft.

My favourite thing about camping is being outside and experiencing nature - animals, birds, bugs, all of it! Teaching my kids about it all is important, too.:icon_smile_squirrel

Good thread, Kiteri/Shannon!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ok I'm in. Here we go!

1. "Real" first name
I always sign off with my real name but I'll repeat, My name is Shane Harvey

We've been camping for 6 years now. All because Emily watched a cartoon on TV (Little Bear) and the father bear took little bear camping. Michelle my wife agreed, so I came home one day with a pop-up tent trailer. The rest is history

3. Give us some general details of what you camp in/with. (ex. make, model, year of [COLOR=#11593c! important][COLOR=#11593c! important]camper[/COLOR][/COLOR]... kind of tent... brand of backpack & hammock)
We camp in a Hybrid Travel Trailer, Model and type in my signature. Before that however, we had 2 different pop-up tent trailers. (Both Bonairs)

4. Your favorite thing about camping. TRY to keep this to one or two top favorites.
Cooking, campfires relaxing but the most important, watching the kids have a blast. I know, thats 4.....Sorry.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
1. "Real" first name
Jon
Parents never camped. Starting camping when I joined Boy Scouts over 35 years ago. Picked it back up around 1990 and haven't stopped since.
3. Give us some general details of what you camp in/with. (ex. make, model, year of camper... kind of tent... brand of backpack & hammock)
Usually with the hybrid trailer (see sig). If I'm with the Cub Scouts (of which I have 2), I have a variety of tents to choose from - 2 backpacking, one dome, one 10x14 cabin, one huge mansion (18x24?). Brands? One is a Sierra, one's a Wenzel, couldn't tell you the others. Two backpacks - one Jensen one Kelty. Two cheap nylon hammocks.
I find it downright fun. The kids love it also.

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Well, let me dive in here.

1. "Real" first name is Todd. Ok, that was easy....Here we go, next question please.

2. How long have you been camping?

I have been camping since I was about 8 or 10 I guess. So, about 10 years now, oh wait..... I mean 20 years, crap who's counting anyway :scratchhead:

3. Give us some general details of what you camp in/with.

We also currently camp in a Hybrid Travel Trailer, which is also in my signature. Before that we camped in a tent, my wife an I that is. Now, years ago, camping with my parents, we started out in a canvas monster, Shannon should appreciate. Then we upgraded to a Shasta travel trailer. I will never forget that thing, it was awesome at the time, but looking back on it, it couldn't have been more than 12 or 14 feet long.

4. Your favorite thing about camping.

When I think about camping, sitting around the campfire at dusk, into the evening, grilling or campfire cooking our favorite meal, that is what I love. I have a fire pit on my patio here at home. I bought a cord of wood during hunting season, and then lucked up into some more free wood, and I have big fires here all the time. I sit out there by myself sometimes if noone else wants to join me, but I love sippin a cold one by the campfire. Also, my youngin loves it. I will never forget the camping trips we went on as a kids, and I want mine to feel the same way. I have some wonderful memories from camping.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1. "Real" first name - Kevin

2. How long have you been camping - Long time

3. Give us some general details of what you camp in/with. Hammock

4. Your favorite thing about camping. Its just me and my friends and family.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1. Real name..... Mark

This year is my 35th year of camping

3. General details what you camp in/with;
my parents took me out in a "canvas mansion" which I recently "inheirited" when my father decided to do some spring housecleaning. It's 40 years old and still just like new, they don't make 'em like that anymore ! I also have 2 dome tents,and a Kelty backpack. I've owned 3 travel trailers,2 terry taurus and a 30' Coachman.

4. Your favorite thing about camping.. try to keep this to one or two top favorites ?
The sights/sounds, the activities, the memories, basically everything.

Great idea Shannon !

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for being good sports guys!!! And I do mean GUYS:

Tarcy
Shane
Jon
Todd
Kevin
Mark

I am outnumbered 6 to one so far! :rotflmao1:

·
Registered
139 Posts
1. "Real" first name - Mike

2. How long have you been camping - 20 + years

3. Give us some general details of what you camp in/with. Mostly a travel trailer these days.
4. Your favorite thing about camping. Being with the family, playing games, campfires, fishing, teaching kids the way to enjoy the outdoors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
:10220:

1. "Real" first name

Camilla

Camped as a kid with my folks and siblings in South Dakota and Minnesota. My hubby is affectionately known as Grizzly Adams, referring to his love of the outdoors from an early age. We didn't camp together until 1996. (thinking about this now I find it very odd that we had been together so long - since '88 - and had never gone camping! and when we went in '96 we were camping with our 1 yr old)

Started out with a dome tent, graduated to bigger tents every couple years...cheap Hillary brands usually. Realized we just couldn't do tenting anymore after the May longweekend last year - you see, my husband suffered a spinal cord injury on the job a few years back and then blew out his ACL during physio for the spinal so camping as we knew it was very difficult. Plus, inflated air beds...need I say more? Not comfy. The days after returning home from the May longweekend were spent researching our hybrid Jayco purchase online and we basically bought it - or secured the financing with the dealership (they made it SO easy!) without even physically being IN it. Thank God for the internet and the information, photos and reviews one can find! When we arrived at the dealership 5 weeks after the May longweekend and 700 km from home, they had a big SOLD sticker with our names on the front of the trailer. It was pretty surreal.

Simply being out of town and in the great outdoors of Northern British Columbia! How much longer til May..............?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hooray!!! You do know what happens when two women get together don't you????? :rotflmao1:

We are campers...for goodness sake we are the cream of the crop as girls go!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Years Camping: Since I was 3, I'm now 48. DW has been camping for about 6 years and loves it.
Our Camper: 2005 Fleetwood Niagara Pop-up.
What we enjoy most about camping: Being outside away from everything. I thoroughly enjoy grilling. Cooking in my Dutch Ovens (6 of them). Any type of cooking outdoors.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
59 Posts
1. Real first name?
Heather
Only a couple of years, actually. Just got my own gear this year. :)
3. What do you camp with?
Right now, I have a 9'x7' timber something or other dome tent I got off craigslist with some other miscellaneous stuff (Cooler, pans, etc.). It works for now, but I want to get a large canvas "mansion" eventually. I'm all about tent camping, but want to get a pop-up and/or something like that even more eventually. :)
4. Favorite thing about camping?
Getting out of town, being in the woods, campfires, hiking, sleeping like a rock, other campers are so friendly most of the time! Proving to myself that I CAN do things. :whistling:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts