Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day i went to get some water out of my fresh tank through the kitchen sink. I noticed a very bad smell. At first i thought it was coming out the drain. Further investigation showed it was coming from the fresh water itself. The water was only a few days old. Could the water went bad that fast? Should i add some sort of treatment to the tank? I'm new to the water system on campers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Pensnut

·
Registered
205 Posts
Pensnut, Do you have a water heater? and was it cold or hot water? The water in the water heater can sit there for a while and develop an odor.

Anyway I would recomend that drain all the water out and sanitize the water system including all the pipes and water hose. Here is a photogallery with instructions. The keys are 1/4 bleach for every 15 gallons and let this solution sit for 3 to 12 hours.

Hope this helps.

Ruide

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the hot water tank bypassed. I didn't drain it right this winter and broke it. I'm new to this if you haven't guessed yet. I am going to try the bleach thing you suggested. Thanks for the help Ruide.

Pensnut

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Probably the tank just needs a good cleaning. The water absorbed some of the old stuff (yuck). The bleaching will do the trick.

When I get back from a trip, I just leave a little bit of water in the tank, add a little beach, and make sure it smells bleachy from every faucet. I will then flush it out a day or two before the next trip.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the hot water tank bypassed. I didn't drain it right this winter and broke it. I'm new to this if you haven't guessed yet. I am going to try the bleach thing you suggested. Thanks for the help Ruide.

Pensnut
Pensnut,

You are welcome... and I'm really sorry to hear about the demise of your hot water tank.

Ruide

1 - 5 of 5 Posts