Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning from New Hampshire. This is my very first forum of any kind so bare with me.
We have had 3 campers in the past, have had water problems in 2 so we were really careful this time in purchaseing a used Keystone 5th wheel cougar with 2 slides. (04) The quality is something that is seen right from your first step into the camper and more so as you look under and over the entire unit. At th is moment we do not have a truck large enough to pull, but we are looking into that and have been informed that 3/4 ton with a super slide is the way to go. If anyone has a better idea we would enjoy hearing about your experiance. Thanks all...:10220:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Welcome to the forum doxielover101. Sounds like you've been doing your homework. You looking for a new or used 3/4 ton truck?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With so many available due to the world economy right now, I think we can get a really good used one for a decent price. We are looking around the New England area where we live. At the present time we will have it on our site in NH and when we find the right one will buy.

·
Registered
735 Posts
There are lots to choose from. Personally I would love to get F250 Super Duty. I have a 150 right now and love it. But if we move up to a 5th wheel I'll be looking for one of those.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have purchased Toyota's for the last 15 years and never and I mean never have a repair just routine care. So we are thinking Toyota again, just not sure which one and how large , regular gas or diesl...

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I think a diesel 3/4 ton with a super slide hitch would be an excellent setup. Its all a matter of preference on what truck of course, but I highly recommend a diesel for towing a 5'er of that size. Heck I was inches from buying one to tow my 19 footer :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We are trying to stay away from the diesel..cost of the fuel is a big issue. They have been giving us some really solid info concerning the pro's and con's of such a decision. Largely, what we are being told is that 3/4 truck should be able to pull our camper with ease in all situations advise a 4WD or AWD and a super slide so that turning is made really comfortable. We have time to think and look around so won't jump into anything in haste. Thanks for your comments ...

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Definitely understand that. 3/4 ton should handle it without any problem. I dont know for sure, but I would definitely look into MPG on a 3/4 ton gas vs. diesel. I know 3 people that tow 5th wheels with their 2 wheel drive diesels and get about 15-17 mpg towing. Depends on how you drive to of course. I know that is double what my 1/2 ton gasser gets towing a camper half the lenght of theirs, so I would be extatic with that mileage. I just personally wonder how much better a 3/4 ton gas truck could be on mpg, if any.

I am going through the same thoughts as you are about an upgrade. The wife says diesel is higher, we dont need to do it. True, but if I average 7 mpg currently at $2/gallon, and then go to diesel and pay $2.50/gallon and average 12-14 + MPG, I think I am still coming out ahead, at least not losing. Again though, you will be comparing 3/4 ton gas to 3/4 ton diesel, so a little different than what I am comparing at the moment.

Maybe a slight concern if any, I believe the 3/4 ton gas models have less resale value too, just a thought.

Good luck in your decision, I am just throwing out things to consider.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your thoughts.. it is a considerable decision to make. We have two other cars, a Van and a sedan, the truck could be used for other things but mostly used to pull the camper. So when you consider all the cost factors involved one has to ask the question "how much is enough" ? I will rely on the judgement of my RV dealer, as he has nothing to gain, rather then the truck dealer as he has everything to gain. Again, thank you for your thoughts...this will be a decision not made in haste...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah, one of the places we want to visit, so far have not traveled to the west coast in our camper. Next May planning a trip to Colorado and heading over to Utah and hoping further west...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have lived in New England for many generations. My dad when in the CCC's during the war was sent to Oregon and loved it so much, however, he left a little NE gal back here and she was the draw to keep him here. He had taken pictures of Oregon and I have those. So since this is one state among other northern west states I have yet to see as well as my husband we are anxious to discover. Next May into June is the date we have set aside to do this..so Lord willing we will be there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeap, Alot of GREAT camping in Washington/Oregon area. So much so, that you really have a hard time choosing. In a short drive from our home, you have choices of, Desert Camping, High Mountain Forested Camping, and 2 to 3 different types of Coast Camping from sandy/dune type areas to Mountainous. We definitely get spoiled in the Northwest with all the diverse camping available.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts