Camper Community Forums banner

Deep Fried Scallops

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dhutchinson 
#1 ·
I wrap bacon around the scallops, put a tooth pick through to hold it on. Put them in a French Fry basket and drop them in. When the bacon is brown they are done. The oil is about 350 or sizzles when a drop of water is put in. Careful with that though.
I use a turkey fryer set up with a cast iron pot on top of the propane burner. I use the same set up for my Calamari. but that's another recipe.
I was cooking them on the grill, but they made a mess of the grill. My friend told me about deep frying them.
Always use care when using hot oil. No kids, Just the right amount of oil and temp not to high. What I did, when the pot was new, was fill it with water with the basket in it. Take the basket out and mark the pot. Dump the water out, dry the pot then fill to mark with oil. That way you know there is not to much oil. Now the pot has a permanent mark on it from use.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
No breading, just bacon. To save clean up you can put tin foil down on the grill. When the bacon is done so are the scallops.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
We do it on vaca in Maryland. We get our own clams, flounder, crabs, buy shrimp and scallops right off the boat. Do it once a week, the two weeks we're there for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.