Camper Community Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recs on best way to make coffee for a large group. We tent camp and almost always, have electric hook up. So I could just bring a coffee maker.

However, looking for a method for the open flame. Cowboy coffee? (Worried about the grinds making their way into the cup). Percolator? TIA!:vs_coffee::vs_coffee::vs_coffee:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Before I launch into this, I'll make it clear that I'm somewhat of a coffee snob and have a very strong opinion on the subject.

A percolator is definitely about the easiest way to make coffee out in the woods. But the result is over processed beans at best, but more likely a brew that tastes burnt and bitter.

My recommendation? Learn how to use a French press. There is a learning curve to using one, but once mastered, it'll give you the smoothest cup of joe you've ever tasted. A press is also best used with beans freshly ground to a certain coarseness (a part of the aforementioned learning curve).There are countless sites online that show you how to use one. It's the only brewing process that leaves in the essential oils that drip makers and percolators don't.

If that sounds like too much to deal with, my second suggestion would be to use a pour over method. There are plenty of companies that sell collapsible drip makers that use standard drip filters. Drip maker goes over a mug/pitcher/receptacle of just about any kind, filter and ground coffee like in your home coffee maker and pour boiling water over the grounds and, voila - coffee!

·
Registered
103 Posts
while in Viet Nam or coffee was made on a fire with a 20 gal pot boiling add 1 gal off coffee after five minutes add a quart of cold water to sink grinds to bottom and yum LOL yes that's the way it was done back when.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Having visited various countries, including the US, the best coffee I've ever tasted is French. I can have refill after refill. No other country comes close to their coffee:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
This video gives you step-by-step instructions on how to make coffee from coffee grounds with a large coffee percolator.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-45apsS2Nk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-45apsS2Nk[/ame]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try the old school brew. Boil the beans or the ready to brew beans in a big pot and prepare a clean cotton cloth to separate the solid coffee from the ready to drink hot coffee. It sure taste amazing and could kickstart you morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I make coffee with a K-Mini coffee maker. Perfect size, the temperature of the water is really hot making the coffee even better, i don’t personally travel with it but it does the job as a full time home one

·
Registered
103 Posts
wow first thing I get up coffee is a must camping my K cup works the fastest in my A class. We getting reading to meet the TN volunteers it's the first time this year to meet and greet some new people who joined this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts