Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and I got exposed to a DIY campfire alternative on a rafting trip last year. The original idea was named the "Grand Canyon Candle". You can find it on youtube here:

We absolutely loved the thing. It puts out a ton of heat, the fire is interesting in the same manner as a traditional campfire. It's definitively hotter and more interesting to sit around than propane. It is non-ember producing. The DIY version from that youtube video is "ok", but it isn't great. The thing will burn great for about 2-3 hours and then decline to a sputter over the next 4-5 hours eventually leaving you with a burned can with a few pounds of wax glueing the remaining cardboard to the bottom.

We spent the last 6 months figuring out how to make it better. The resulting kickstarter is here.

I'm really excited to share this with the RV camping world. My partner and I love having one of these in our camper. It's significantly easier to lug around than bundles of firewood and way more convenient than a traditional campfire. It doesn't produce smoke, and you can light it quickly and extinguish it instantly. That means that we can do things like light it early in the evening, put it out while we get the kids down to bed, and then light it again for 30-40 minutes while we sit up and have some time together after the kids are down for the night. Once we're ready to go to bed we can just extinguish it. And then we pack it back up and can take it with is to our next campsite.

We are also trying to embrace the DIY nature of this product. We'll be publishing DIY instructions for those that want to go that route. Depending on how much you value your time and cleaning up a waxy kitchen you can certainly make one yourself.

I hope you like it. If you don't, I'd love to know why.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts