Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decide what size mat you need for under your awning then go to Lowe's/Home Depot and pick out a color in the astroturf/outdoor carpet area. have them cut the size you want, it's fairly cheap. i got a brown color to match the outside of my camper. it comes about 16' wide (i think) so you only need 6 or 8 feet. after you get it home, spred it out in the drive way (or somewhere there is no fire danger), take a small handheld torch and go around the edge. just barely melt the edge so it won't unravel. it may take a little practice to do this part, tends to melts a lot if you don't move fast enough. it shouldn't look burnt on the edge when done.

presto, you have a great, cheap, custom sized mat for the next trip. plus if you have a few scraps left over and some carpet glue, you can make your steps match. (i don't know about getting it off your steps if you ever decide to).

·
Registered
1 Posts
went one further

I went one step further. I bought a grommet kit and added grommets on the corners so I could anchor it down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not going to support Walmart, but, Walmart does carry RV/Camping mats... A good size 9x12 and price (around $49), though not very many color choices. They are not offered online. I still recommed supporting the local camping store. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not going to support Walmart, but, Walmart does carry RV/Camping mats... A good size 9x12 and price (around $49), though not very many color choices. They are not offered online. I still recommed supporting the local camping store. :)
i try and support my local camping shop, love thoe kind of stores and get great help :thumbup1:

·
Registered
19 Posts
the only problem with the turf carpet is it holds all the sand and dirt in it. Can't ever seem stop the sand from sweeping off.

RV mats are great as they let the sand fall through it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
DW went to homedepot or lowes etc and found a remnant for like 10 bucks. It actually matches the carpet in the RV bedroom.

If you look for clearance items (DW is the clearance queen), you should be able to find something reasonable and even expendable if it gets messed up.

J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts