Camper Community Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well, now I have a mystery to solve. Everytime I knock out a breaker in the camper, the breakers in the panel in the kitchen may be thrown, and I put it back on, but I have to go outside to my main panel box and throw those breakers on everytime. Why?
If I throw a breaker inside and put it back on, why are both 30 amp breakers going off outside? That makes no sense.
In my previous camper, the only time that I had to go outside to my main panel box was is my secondary 20 amp extension cord threw the GFR and I had to turn it back on...it had a short if it rained...it's been repaired.
What ideas on this do you have?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
BTW, the reason for the breaker throwing off tonight was I forgot to turn my heater off before I used my microwave.
The microwave is on it's own breaker, but the whole camper went dark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I had a 'duh' moment this morning, then a revelation from not paying better attention.
I woke up in my bed at 6 am freezing with just the bedsheet covering me. My power had gone off during the night. After I ascertained that the power was off my whole area and called my power company to report my outage, I texted my friend who found this camper and told me. He said that if I had two deep cycle batteries, I could have lights and the propane heater running on the 12 volt system.
That was a revelation to me because I had been looking at buying a Little Buddy propane heater as a backup for when the power went out.
Shortly after that, I left and went up to see another part of my property. The renter gave me a second deep cycle battery that he had...another friend gave me the first one three weeks ago. Now all I need is to charge them and have them hooked up. My propane bottles are almost empty too, so I need to fill one, at least.
My power came back on at 3:30 pm...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm making headway finally...I'm charging the two batteries and installing them in the camper...yay!
And I found out what my electrical problem is...the length of my two 30 amp cords is too long and I'm losing voltage. 30 amp cords are 10 gauge and I need 6 gauge cords to go that far without voltage loss. That's an expensive 'fix' but it has to happen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I bought a third infrared heater on 12/31/2019, and now the entire camper stays warm even when it's 21 degrees outside. Yay! Finally...
I bought a Magnavox MH-1200 4-elements heater for $30 that was on craigslist for sale. It's fan is much stronger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced all the 12v interior lights in my 5th wheel with GRB 921 LEDs that very bright and don’t get hot. During installation, I felt that I needed to wiggle the bulb into place and keep it very straight. The led seems to have a flex spot where the white plastic base ends and where the bulb paddle starts, but they all installed well and worked for an initial test.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts