Camper Community Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do if it rains while you are camping? Of course we can't control the weather so we try to make the best of it. The little one loves to play in the rain outside, and if its not lightning, we sometime let her have at it. Of course, that turns into a muddy mess in the end, but she has a good time, so thats important. We didnt go through all that work to let a little rain stop us did we? We always say, we didnt come all the way out here to just sit in the camper all weekend, unless its storming of course.

What kind of different things do you do when rain joins your camping trip?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Camping in th Rain sounds refreshing indeed. My immediate response to rain is comfort. It's very relaxing to hear the sound of the rain. The gray clouds and dark outside are very peaceful to me. I love the rain and the snow too.

·
Registered
483 Posts
All I have to say about Camping and Rain is BAH HUM BUG.....
It really screws up my Boche Ball and Horseshoe Games.... LAMO

Funny though it never seems to screw up my drinking games

·
Registered
505 Posts
With a camper, your options are much more abundant than a tent... hehehe... so I gotta learn the anti rain dance!!!!

BUT... I will suggest a few things.

Since there is no fire, you need to make plans for your meal as soon as you realize that you can't cook it outside. Baking something in the oven that smells like home can help comfort and smooth rough nerves from being all cooped up. If your camper only has burners and not an oven, you can boil up some water, cook a box of mac and cheese, and slice up those hotdogs that you aren't roasting outside and stir them in. (My kids love this)

Having a few compact but very entertaining board/dice games in the camper can help keep everyone entertained. Try Left Right Center... it is only three dice and some chips in a little tube... but boy oh boy is it addicting. A deck of cards leads to infinate possibilities! Worst case scenario if you forgot these things is shadow puppets and charades.

The biggest thing to remember about rain..... It will actually make your family stronger. I know it sounds so strange, but think back to your childhood. Do you remember when the power went out, and you had to sit in a dark house and entertain yourself? I do! Do you remember every other day as well? Surviving an adversity builds bonds. The way you handle your adversity (in this case rain) will be emblazoned in everyone's memories! Make that a positive memory!

·
Registered
102 Posts
When we camped in the tent, it was a lot harder when it rained. We tried to stay in the kitchen tent is the rain wasn't coming through the screen, but at least we could see outside.

Now with the house trailer, we are spoiled. I try to keep the grandkids occupied with crafts and taking pictures. My mom and I usually play scrabble and my husband watches TV or takes a long nap.

Sometimes when I am brave, I get the little ones in their ponchos and rainboots and I take them for a walk which they think is exciting getting all wet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, it definitely makes a different whether you are tent camping, or trailer/rv camping. Tent camping can be miserable in the rain, but it can be "ok" in a trailer, much more options of things to do and not get wet.

I know what you mean kiteri, about the power outage. I remember some from the childhood days, on the phone talking to friends, and power goes out, parents call the mandatory meeting downstairs, I am complaining like any teen would, OHHHH mom, come on, I am on the phone, blah blah. But your right, because of that we actually spent some quality time together. Light some candles and sit around and talk to each other, there wasnt anything else to do, so we had to, which I guess is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
It all depends how bad it's raining. We bring along a small TV and a portable DVD player that plugs into the TV and we'll watch some family movies. We also play board games and cards. One game we'll bring along is Disney's Seen it in which you need a TV and DVD player to play the game. We got lucky last year, I don't think we set up the TV up once. I like to sit out under the awning in my chair with a few drinks listening to some music just loud enough for me to hear. Let it rain. I'll find nothing to do. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
The rain is a welcome retreat from everyday troubles. It sounds like you are enjoying the time together as a family. When I grew up we never owned a computer, MP3, DVD, or even a VHS player. We had one TV. When it rained we just talked. On the camper bus, I think we had some cards.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, if its got to rain, I generally hope there is a good ballgame on or something. I dont mind sitting under the awning if its not storming, but if it is, I dont mind hunkering down in the RV and watching a good ballgame. Of course, depends on if I can get a signal if the weather is bad

·
Camping Extraordinaire
159 Posts
Assuming the weather is warm, play in the rain. We've taken hikes in the rain, cooked, about anything you can think of except starting a campfire. Well, he may have tried that a time or two :whistling:. Put the swimsuit on the kids and let them have a ball. We often go exploring on rainy days, never know what you may find in those small towns. We always find a yard sale or two to stop at.

Don't let the rain ruin your outdoor experiences.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Gail you're description of camping in the rain is quite poetic. It want to join you for sure. You put them in a swimsuit, that's the perfect rain outfit. I think I have hiked during the rain too. In other countries, they have monsoons and rain forests with rain every day. Don't let it ruin your plans. Have some fun with the weather. My girls love getting wet.:clapping:

·
Registered
11 Posts
We had a huge downpour with high winds once, but thankfully it started at 8pm and ended at 9am and the kids slept through the whole thing. Next time if it's warm enough I'm going to use the bathing suit idea.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Absolutely plaz, thats the only way to go when you have bad weather. :arg:

If its not lightning at all, let them youngins have some fun in the rain, everybodys happy that way, and still having some fun in not so great weather.

We had a huge downpour with high winds once, but thankfully it started at 8pm and ended at 9am and the kids slept through the whole thing. Next time if it's warm enough I'm going to use the bathing suit idea.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Camping in the Rain

I would like to know why people forget how soothing the sound of rain is. You sit in the rain with your family, and either let the children play or sleep. Many go to the New Age store to relax with a CD with what? The sound of rain? All you have to do to take them camping and soak up the sound of wind, and rain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts