Camper Community Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We always get bored of doing the same things over, so I thought I would pick your brains on what your do for fun and what games you play while camping?

Games for 4 adults, as well as games with kids

Any ideas or thoughts would be great

·
Registered
505 Posts
I personally only need games to keep kids close after it gets dark.

My kids favorite is to play "Jack is alive". We sit in a circle around the fire and put a stick in the fire until the tip glows orange. Then the person who pulls the stick out blows on the end of the stick and as long as it is still glowing orange he/she says "Jack is alive" and then passes it to the next person in the circle. We keep passing, and blowing until the orange goes out. The person that Jack "dies" would normally be out, but we just keep playing it over and over again because it is usually just the four of us.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Who am I

You could try a game called who am i, but you need a few people/kids for it. We have done this before when their is enough people, its fun

The group forms a circle. One person is chosen to be the Guesser and they go into the middle of the circle. The "Guesser" is blindfolded or asked to keep their eyes closed.

The game begins with an adult spinning the Guesser around in a circle. The group is asked to spin around in a circle as well, but in the other direction. When the spinning stops, the Guesser points in the direction of one of the people in the circle and says the name of an animal. That person must make the noise that that animal makes. The guesser will then try to guess who the person is by the sounds they make.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Guessing an animal sound is perfect games for children to play. This one sounds like I could do it with the girls. We've done "I Spy". You tell them the color of what you picked. "I spy something green." Then they guess the object you're talking about.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Camping games

scavenger hunts were always fun.

When walking or driving we play category games where you each take turns picking a category. Then each person takes a turn trying to name something in that category starting with each letter of the alphabet.

Example: Someone picks "animal" for the category.
The first person has to name a animal starting with an A (alligator). The next person has to name a car starting with a B (Bird), etc. until you finish the alphabet.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Any games you can play while driving are good. Another use for our brains, and it takes the pressure off. We might be pressured about being lost or other things. It a relaxing way to spend your time together.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For adults - that one is easy. My mother and I are obsessed with Scrabble and Yahtzee.

For kids - some of my grandchildren are kind of young so their attention span is short but we pretend we are on some big mission to find animals in the woods. As they move along, they say very scarily "lions and tigers and bears, oh my".

·
Camping Extraordinaire
159 Posts
Another car "game" I played with my nieces and now my little one, is find the alphabet. Obviously they need to be able to identify letters of the alphabet, but what you do is when you are near a town or an area that has lots of billboards you try to find the letters of the alphabet, in order, on the billboards or signs. For example you start with the letter A and try to be the first one to find the letter A on the billboards/signs, after the A is found you move onto B, then C, and so forth. My daughter is 5 and still a little young for it, because she usually wants to quit at about letter M, but it does help make some of the trip go faster.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The alphabet game sounds similar to one we play. Your daughter can get to M. That's great for sure, and my daughter is in 2nd grade. She has spelling we do. This game would get their minds off the trip. I'll have to try this alphabet one. We wait at the Middle school all week. Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Marbles is a great game to play while your camping. All you need are some marbles. While you are at camp you can take a stick and draw a circle. Each player puts the same amount of marbles into the circle and then the players take turns shooting a marble into the circle with the idea that you want to hit another marble out of the circle. If the player gets a marble or two out of the circle the marble is theirs. The player with the most marbles at the end of the game wins.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Marbles looks like fun! I hadn't thought of doing that while camping. The only game we play with marbles is one from Korea. It's a little jumping game with small marbles. It has two rows of little cups to put them in. The one with the least amount wins.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can make a cheap memory or go fish game for the youngins too. Home Depot carries Disney paint and the paint "chips" they have are in the shape of Mickey. Grab a couple of each of all the colors and you have free cards :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
The memory game is one I do play with my girls all the time. Painting them is something I hadn't thought about doing. I think I'll give that a try, and it does sound easy to do. I tend to shy away from the harder games. If it's simple I LOVE IT.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We play the bean bag toss game which seems to have become popular at campgrounds.

Has anyone played that ladder golf game? I saw someone playing it last year, finally figured out what it was. I saw them throwing rope looking things at a pvc stand, anyway hard to explain, but had no clue what it was. finally saw it at a store and went :smack-head: ok, now I know. Looked like fun though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
more game ideas

I know I'm late posting to this thread, but I thought I'd add a few more ideas for anyone still searching...

Skipbo
Uno
Monopoly
Clue
Yahtzee

20 Questions (electronic version in Wal-mart, about $9...lots of fun!)

KOA has campfire stories you can print or download at KOA Camping Stories

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'll keep thinking and post anything new.

Also...someone mentioned Geocaching on another thread, I've never done it, but we're gonna try it. Find out more at Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

·
Registered
158 Posts
So you know I am not crazy, here is a pic of it, see what I mean??

I've played that plenty of times, its fun for all ages. Another great game is Washers. I've seen a few different styles but its fun for all ages also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We play the bean bag toss game which seems to have become popular at campgrounds.

Has anyone played that ladder golf game? I saw someone playing it last year, finally figured out what it was. I saw them throwing rope looking things at a pvc stand, anyway hard to explain, but had no clue what it was. finally saw it at a store and went :smack-head: ok, now I know. Looked like fun though.

Where do you buy this bean bag toss at ? I have looked for it and can't seem to find it ?

While traveling we play a game called 20 questions, you can buy it at Targets ( if you have one in your area ), my kids are grown and this even keeps their attention, it is so much fun, we played it for hours while traveling to Florida.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts