Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you know someone that travels a lot, a GPS is a perfect companion. In fact, GPS can be extremely handy, especially if you find yourself lost in concrete woods. GPS can help you avoid roads that have been closed for maintenance, or even find a quick way around work that is being performed along your route. Today GPSs are rich with features. Some of the top features to look for when purchasing a GPS are: Bluetooth, SD Card Expansion Slot, Large Point of Interest (POI) Database, Speedy Performance Record, Easy to use Interface, Built-in Maps, and Text to Speech (TTS). Also look for GPS with easy to use interface. Some of the top brands in GPS are TomTom, and Garmin.

·
Registered
271 Posts
we have a garmin nuvi 650 (i think). it's great, just don't be afraid of it to start with. you kinda gotta get to know it.

one thing i've found that i really like is "GPS tracking". it keeps a trail of everywhere you've been. makes it real easy to go back if you head out just traveling, you just follow your tracks back or next camping season, you can find resturants or whatever you went to before.

ours also has a FM transmitter. it will give out instuctions over the truck radio and i can load music on it and play over the radio. you don't have to hunt stations when on the road.

i would recommend having a paper map as a back-up. sometimes it will take you on a round-a-bout route.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Get a Droid (Verizon's phone). It uses Google Maps, so you never have to get an upgrade. Plus you can have it on satellite view - makes it real easy to find your destination when it shows you the buildings (it will also go to street view when you are close).

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a TomTom. Personally, better than the others. I've been thinking lately of getting one for car and caravan. Just jot in your unit's total length, and hopefully, it won't take you down our country lanes. Do not want that to happen. The lanes over here can be so narrow that the bushes (never mind the dry stone walls behind them) will scrape down the side of the car, never mind the caravan, which may well scrape down both sides of the stone walling:(

Just watch the attached youtube. This is virtually the norm for Cornwall, Devon and Kent. Luckily, the chap in the car obviously didn't have a caravan. Looks to me he changed over to the driver's seat, and tossed her out:) This happens more often than not, the bit about driving in these counties, not tossing the original driver out:) :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE6VtETdYBM[/ame]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts