Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself (us) :smack-head: I am Stacey, and my other half is Wayne. We are from South GA, and just purchased our new travel trailer, which we pick up on Saturday. Immediately after picking up, we are heading to Lake Aire CG in Hollywood SC for our first weekend!

We are former tent campers, so we are very excited to join the RV community, and we are looking for any and all tips and info we can find!

Thanks so much, and I look forward to getting to know y'all! :10220:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the camper. what did you get ?

my wife and I are currently looking for our first camper. we have always tent or cabin camped but want our own home away from home now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi PhilnJill! We chose a 2012 Coachmen Apex 215RB (think that's the model)! We intended to purchase a used one, but this one had everything we wanted without having to compromise on anything, and we got a 10 year warranty :)

Thanks for the welcome, and good luck finding your first also! Hopefully one day, we will be able to head up north to your area and visit Niagra Falls!

·
Registered
971 Posts
First advice is don't get rid of the tenting stuff. Having our RV hasn't stopped me from tenting or backpacking. It's just how opulent you want to be when it's allowed. You might also be bringing tents when the crowd gets larger and they need a place to stay.

Know your weights, stay within them, and you increase your fun! Warranties are good to have but frustrating when you gotta use them. There are so many trailer service places that seem to take their time when fixing things under warranty. Don't ask me how I know. I have enountered dealerships with a great sales team, and then their service sucks and vice versa.

I hope you have no problems but you'll find that the RV industry has not learned what our automotive industry has learned, to not take us customers for granted. There's a lot of bad RV dealers and service organizations and it seems like the real good ones want to charge more. As for the warranty lots of things can't be covered, but it's probably better than nothing.

The second bit of advice is to learn as much as you can about trailers and their parts and how to fix them. You are almost guaranteed things will break when you need them most and can't get to a service place. In making things smaller and lighter, there just might be a tendency to break something as you drive it. Living in California, I can relate but you are basically putting your house through a continuous earthquake or as high as 6.4 on the Richter Scale as you drive it. And it seems every year, with the roads getting worse and worse, well, you get the idea.

But I would not trade the fun times for anything. Keep the mishaps far and few between and if the good times far outweigh the bad times, then you are way ahead. We are still there and going strong, but I do know of a few where this didn't work out. Try not to let any mishap prevent you from enjoying your trip. Use them as learning experiences, remain positive and calm and you'll find, as a whole, RVers and campers in general, are some of the best caliber of people out there willing to help and share.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Artmart for the words of wisdom! We are reading and making checklists, and in general trying to be as prepared as possible for this coming weekend's maiden voyage. Fortunately, we have a couple who are joining us, and they have been rv'ing for years, so they will be there to help us go through it for the first time. If anything goes wrong, I intend to blame it on him :p

Thanks again, and glad you have enjoyed so many trips!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We hope you have a wonderful time on your first weekend, have lots of fun and bring pad and pencil to make a note of the "little" things you need to pick up for the next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts