Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i beleive part of my electrical problem is the battery for the camper isnt there i figure easy fix.my water and everything is fine i even plugged extension cord in camper inside for temporary electric.if any one has advice that would be great thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So what are you asking? You say you have an electrical problem but don't state what the problem is.

First off, a battery is needed for towing, as this is what will engage the trailer brakes in case of a break away from the tow vehicle. So far as the camper, everything runs off of 12 volt DC except for microwave and air conditioner. You fridge will also run off of 110 AC, but when shore power is not present, it will also run off of propane (needs the 12 volt DC to run the controls for it, however).

When you plug into shore power, the converter (inverter? I always get those two mixed up) will not only provide 110, but will also provide 12 DC to recharge your battery. CAUTION - older converters do not have 3 stage charging, meaning they don't change to a trickle charge once they battery is charged. This can results in boiling your battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my problem i believe is the power converter or maybe wires or something is not connected .when i plug into campground outlet nothing comes on ,when i take extension cord into camper and plug in iget things to work that way.but still need to fix the problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, you got problems. Even without a battery you should be able to get the 110 appliances to run when plugged outside. Sometimes the 12 volt things (lights, water pump) won't run even when plugged in if there is no battery (something about the 12 volt still has to make a jump through the battery connection). Any breakers or fuses inside the converter that you may need to check?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your advice it has put me in the right direction the converter has fuses in it and they look fine. but with no battery not sure it comes on .i think it has to have a battery to turn over. unless the converter is gone too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still searching

i checked fuses in conveter and they are fine the breakers are under the bed they seem to be ok as far as clicking back and forth. the battery port is right behind the breaker panel so i think there has to be a mis somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.