CamperCommunity Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a good bike rack for this season, getting tired of loading them in the back of the truck, taking up all that space.

Never mounted one to a TT Rear Bumper are they strong enough, I have seen a lot of campers at campgrounds that have them, but have also heard it isnt a good idea. Should I install a Hitch Receiver instead?

·
Registered
483 Posts
A friend of mine has (or I should say HAD) the over the spare tire carrier and almost lost two bikes due to its flimsyness.

My trailer has a two inch receiver and we use the hitch type for our bikes.
Unfortunatly its all put away now so I can't get you the make and model number sorry.

My advice spend the extra and get the receiver installed, besides you can do so much more than just a bike carrier once that is installed!

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
I agree to the above. I have heard about the over the spare racks being quite flimsy and the clamps breaking easily. There is also the ladder bike racks (if you have a rear ladder), although I dont know a lot about them. I think the hitch type racks would definitely be the way to go, but I dont know how much it would cost to get a receiver installed on your trailer. Has anyone had one put on aftermarket?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a local welding shop add a 2" receiver to the front of my F350, can barley be seen under the bumper. I carry the bikes on the front. Total cost of getting the receiver made and mounted was $100. Also use it to "drive" my boat down the launch ramp.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had a local welding shop add a 2" receiver to the front of my F350, can barley be seen under the bumper. I carry the bikes on the front. Total cost of getting the receiver made and mounted was $100. Also use it to "drive" my boat down the launch ramp.
What a great idea!!!!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I haven't seen the bikes in front. I thought they are usually carried in the back. If you got it done for $100 that sounds like a deal. If it is safe then you have no worries about it. We store ours in the garage. I haven't even taken our bikes to the park with the van. It was too hard to get them in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks like it has been a year since the last post in the forum.... I am also looking for a bike rack for a travel trailer. Anymore ideas? I have seen the bumper hitch for the 4" square bumper. Anyone use this method? Would like to carry 4 bikes.
Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We have 3 kids - 5 of us -- and are avid bikers. I use the RempRack (www.RempRack.com). We love it -- especially for our qty of bikes and the fact that we pull a trailer (no hitch receiver available). It's a bit pricey!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts