Camper Community Forums banner

Bathing while camping?

40K views 81 replies 55 participants last post by  ppine 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok campers, I am getting personal? :shocked:

Do you bathe when you go camping? I ask this because I have camped with many people that tend not to, just fresh clothes and they are done. I have to shower everyday, cant stand not too. We have camped with other people, luckily for me in their own tent :), but they didnt shower the whole time.

Is it common for you not to shower while on a camping trip?

#32 ·
Definitely bathe everyday if I'm in a campground. When tent camping in a CG that has no showers, we will use the solar shower. We found that boiling a small pot of water then filling the rest with cold would make it sufficient. The "solar" part never really gets it too hot (okay in the summer, but when it's chilly out...).

In the back woods, if only out for one or two nights I might just take some baby wipes and clean up with those.

We had an outdoor shower rigged on a friend of mine's property years ago (before we finished building their cabin), down from where we used to sit around outside (it was close to where our tents where). We would go shower as couples to conserve water. We had no tarp - didn't need one. However, one trip I got there last, and nobody that was sitting around the fire bothered to tell me something. I go to setup my tent, and walked up on one of the couples showering. :rotflmao1:

#37 ·
Eeeeek!

This? This is why camping skeeves me out! I can't bear to think of not showering every day if it's hot and humid out, and especially if we've been swimming in a lake. I have really sensitive skin, so that's another consideration - I have to wash off the lake ick or I get really itchy and break out.

It will be interesting to see how my hubby and son come home from Cub Scout camp next week - wonder if they will be gross and stinky. ICK!

#39 ·
if you are out at elk camp,in a tent 100 miles from a shower,then you dont shower every day,but i will heat up water from local river and wash my body with a wash rag and soap,and then rinse off with water warmed up on a open fire,now my hunting partner,or should i say my wife,needs a little more care,and hot water,and a privacy tent set up,so she can wash up,free of me and my binocks,sorry got a little carried away with my post,a person should allways wash up every day.:whipyobut:

#40 ·
If not showers around we improvise, there is no excuses. Some hygiene when wandering in the woods is important, besides being smelly, you can carry some unwanted little people to the campsite, tent, and bed.

We have a privacy tent that the girls really love. If showering is a must have, the small Zodi battery shower complemented by boiling some water in a fire makes you feel like new.

#41 ·
Showering while tent camping - blasphemy! And no shaving either!
Be one with nature.
Soapy wash cloth and fresh deodorant for the armpits, and brushed teeth -good to go.

plus you get to enjoy the strange looks you get when you stop somewhere on the way home.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gus[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
"Of course I trust my political representatives ... just not with my liberties or my wallet" :GAW[/FONT]

#42 ·
First off...been gone for about a year and a half...good to see familiar names on here still!

I like to shower every OTHER day while camping. Shaving is out. I try to become Grizzly Adams, if possible. I'm relaxing. But being clean is important, too! However, I'm CAMPING. I don't need to shower/bathe every day....it really depends on the bug spray/sweating situation...if I've done a lot of it that day, I'll shower up in one of a few ways, all have been mentioned - CG showers, Trailer shower or hop in the lake w/biodegradable soap.

I hope I actually get to camp this year, after having a broken ankle last year kept me away from that (and GOLF) for the whole year. It all depends on business, since I'm now working for myself (own a DJ company), and need to make sure the bills are paid! :D

#44 ·
baby wipes do work well. That is basically what hospitals use on patients who are bed bound and unable to get into the shower.

I don't mine using a public shower most of the time, once we were on the Outer Banks and the public showers only had cold water, so I didn't shower that weekend.

In the motorcoach the shower is kinda small for me, but I use it when I have too.

Definitely no showering during deer season :no:

#45 ·
New here =)

Gotta say, this site is fantastic!! I went camping with a few friends last year for 3 days, at a campgrounds with no running water. We were on a lake so it didn't matter too much. But this year we're staying for a full week and we really needed to find a way to shower. I'm ordering a couple solar-bags and grabbing a tarp to setup. Great advice! =D:thumbup1:

#46 ·
When you shower using this method please be about 200ft of rivers and lakes to minimize runoff into what could be someone else's water supply.

Let's just say solar showers are "invigorating", but better than nothing or bathing with soap in a water source.

#47 · (Edited)
Let's see, I'm by myself, no wife, girlfriend or tent mate. The temps are not really warm and I'm camping in a tent. Unless there is a public showers in the campground, I don't see myself showering out in the open with cold water out of a plastic bag.

A wet washcloth or baby wipes (unscented) will have to do. I'll wash my face and wet & comb my hair, shaving is out.

#48 ·
Cut off the top half from a gallon jug and you can create a small reusable and disposable basin. It is small enough to pack things inside of it to make use of the room. Then chuck it in the recylables when you are done.

I like to be as clean as possible at least for the journey back home. I can't even stand to smell myself if I'm alone. I can shave with just about any lather and a razor. That's all I need. I have used the bio soap as a shampoo, too and it works pretty good.

Heat some water or just enough to be lukewarm, a little bit of biodegradable soap and you'll be amazed at how refreshing this is. Cold water can be invigorating too.

#76 ·
Glad I'm not the only one. ALWAYS if possible I clean up at the end of a day.

On a near daily basis I either use baby wipes or a bowl of hot water & a washcloth with biodegradable stuff (like Dr Bronners or something like this, the last one I've tried was Campsuds, cleans not as good as Bronners but overall it was a nice replacement as I was in hurry). When I'm on longer trips and I'm near any water sources (plus it's warm), then I just go to the nearest river.

I do not shower. It wastes far too much water. As for showering in camping places - nah, I try to avoid them at all costs.

And when I'm going back to civilisation, I try to be as clean as possible so my relatives won't be shocked by my presence. I even took a regular shaver with me (I mean it, electrical one), keeping it charged to the last day of my travels. It's some kind of ritual for me.
Makes my wife happy that she has not devoted herself to a barbarian, hah :devil:

#50 ·
i use a ozerk trail double shower tent and a battery operated shower also by ozark trail. the only problem is it doesnt heat the water. i just heat it in a pan on the fire or use the hot water on demand system. it works great took it camping up the mountains and all 6 of us had nice hot showers.

#51 · (Edited)
Campers seem to be a clean, shower loving bunch. While I shower daily at home, sometimes that's just not possible when out on vacation.
I've been sailing in bareboat charters for a week to 10 days several times and showers were not possible. Fresh water is a scarce commodity in a sailboat and it's only used for drinking and cooking.
We all just jumped in the ocean, came out and lathered up with Lemon Joy, and jumped right back in to rinse off. I always sailed in the Caribbean so that was always an easy thing to do. I don't know what cold water sailors do, but I bet they don't take any showers either....
While you can shower in the head, it's always with sea water and definitely not heated (but who cares, the water is always very warm).

#52 ·
For me it depends on how nasty I get. If I am just sitting around the camp, enjoying nature and meditating, I don't shower every day. If I go out for a hike and come back sweaty and dusty/muddy then I hit the shower. What I DO bring are a big box of those baby wipes. I generally clean myself up a couple times a day. Keeps from feeling to nasty or developing a case of monkey butt.

#53 ·
I guess I'm glad I can't relate to monkey butt - what it is, how it is. Is anyone else getting the vision of the monkeys doing "see no evil", "speak no evil", and "hear no evil"? I guess now we can add "smell no evil". I'll leave to you all on what that monkey looks like. But notice no monkey butts are involved.

Warning, the last person that smells how bad they stink, is the person that stinks the worse. And since I can't stand myself, I've got to imagine it's worse for others. Just consider that this "odor" just might attract others things you may not want to attract.

Do try and use stuff without an odor. Especially avoid scents like food (coconut, orange, lemons, chocolate, vanilla, etc.) and perfumes (flowers). Keep things as odor free as possible.

I'm just sorta messin' with you Shadow. I am sure you stink decent when you are out there. :) I find wet/wipes are a great addition to my personal care kit. But again, I try not to use the scented ones.

#55 ·
Go here: http://www.chapterd.gwrra-ga.com/gwrra/newsletters/files/block_0/2011-07_July.pdf

on page 9 is an article by a guy in one of my clubs that explains all about monkey butt.

As a biker and camper, I find a lot of my habits from one thing are applicable to the other. On a bike, you learn to pack efficiently, and not bring a lot of crap you don't need. My friends say I "don't bring anything" when I camp. I bring what is needed, and leave the rest at home.

I agree with not using scents such as fruity shampoos and such, especially in bear country,and honestly, you can get by with some stuff from the kitchen..

Corn Starch: Soaks up body oils. You can sprinkle some on your head, massage it all over, then shake your head and comb out the rest.. It makes a serviceable dry shampoo.

Baking Soda: Not just for your fridge.. You can use it for toothpaste with a little water, and rub it on your armpits and your "junk" as a deodorant. You can also use it as a scouring powder when you wash dishes.

These things are also 100% biodegradable and environmentally safe.

#56 ·
You're under the impression I wanted to know...:D... I don't think so, but thanks for trying to educate me.

I've never used any talc on my outings. I just haven't had the need, but I've heard it helps keep between bath times a little more tolerable. I've heard the corn starch remedy, too but it's the corn equating food that I wouldn't want on my body. There may be some other talc I'd consider that is hopefully unscented, but this is not as bad a problem on the drier West coast, than it would be for the East coast. I remember traveling back East on business trips and this western body needed talc so whomever I visited didn't see me sweat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.