CamperCommunity Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
I havent ever tried one of these, but that if I did much dry camping, I would definitely try it out. That would be much better than no bathing at all. Plus, I couldnt imagine my little after 2 or 3 days with no shower of some kind

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll use the public showers, after checking them out. As a backup I'll use the one in the camper, unless we have a sewer hookup, then I'll use the one in the camper. I hate to have to dump the black water while still camping. Sewer hookups makes everything so much easier. I carry around a 15 gallon port-a-dump, but hate to use it. :smack-head:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wow - I have never seen one of those solar shower's before! It's cheap and looks easy to use. It looks like the right size for what you need too. Thanks for the information. It's absolutely better than stinking. Did I say stinking? :scratchhead: I meant to say it's better than not showering at all.:10220:

·
Registered
32 Posts
showers

Most facilitys in Michigan have really nice showers..The state has put in all new shower houses in the parks. So normally I will use the shower houses while my wife uses the camper as sometimes its to far for her to walk. She uses the water sparingly by Turning it on and off when not rincing off. I have gotten lazy and not turned on the hot water heater on the first night and taken cold showers in the camper... not good... I wont be so lazy this year..LOL...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Nice showers in Michigan

I will say that if we had those showers in our campground, I'd use them. You can tell right away is something is clean or not. The places we had growing up didn't have them. I use the technique of only use that water when rinsing off. It does save you water.:10220:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah, this would not be recommended :). Take that extra minute or 2 and get that hot water rolling

·
Camping Extraordinaire
159 Posts
the child definitely gets a shower everyday because we have to use mosquito spray at night and she has sensative skin so she would have problems if we didn't get the spray off of her. I may go one day without a shower but that is the limit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was going to ask what kind of Mosquito spray you use for your little girl? I used to use "Off' when we camped as kids, it did very well with no rashes. Recently, at my mother-in-laws house, I used the Avon "Skin -So-Soft". They had large amounts of black flies that bite. So they kept biting the girls all the time. That kept them off.

·
Camping Fanatic
1,188 Posts
We always use stuff that has 10% deet or less for the little one. I think the spray we have has 7% deet in it. There is also some great tips from other members here

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Definitely bathe everyday if I'm in a campground. When tent camping in a CG that has no showers, we will use the solar shower. We found that boiling a small pot of water then filling the rest with cold would make it sufficient. The "solar" part never really gets it too hot (okay in the summer, but when it's chilly out...).

In the back woods, if only out for one or two nights I might just take some baby wipes and clean up with those.

We had an outdoor shower rigged on a friend of mine's property years ago (before we finished building their cabin), down from where we used to sit around outside (it was close to where our tents where). We would go shower as couples to conserve water. We had no tarp - didn't need one. However, one trip I got there last, and nobody that was sitting around the fire bothered to tell me something. I go to setup my tent, and walked up on one of the couples showering. :rotflmao1:

·
Registered
101 Posts
You bet

After Nam and the weather made sure our coach has a shower and I use it evey night don't like stinking and sleeping. LOL DW also enjoys this habbit also. You just never know what just might happen in the dark.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We don't camp in campgrounds that have showers or anything like that so we usually just jump in the lake with some biodegradable soap every couple of days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eeeeek!

This? This is why camping skeeves me out! I can't bear to think of not showering every day if it's hot and humid out, and especially if we've been swimming in a lake. I have really sensitive skin, so that's another consideration - I have to wash off the lake ick or I get really itchy and break out.

It will be interesting to see how my hubby and son come home from Cub Scout camp next week - wonder if they will be gross and stinky. ICK!

·
Registered
82 Posts
if you are out at elk camp,in a tent 100 miles from a shower,then you dont shower every day,but i will heat up water from local river and wash my body with a wash rag and soap,and then rinse off with water warmed up on a open fire,now my hunting partner,or should i say my wife,needs a little more care,and hot water,and a privacy tent set up,so she can wash up,free of me and my binocks,sorry got a little carried away with my post,a person should allways wash up every day.:whipyobut:

·
Registered
100 Posts
If not showers around we improvise, there is no excuses. Some hygiene when wandering in the woods is important, besides being smelly, you can carry some unwanted little people to the campsite, tent, and bed.

We have a privacy tent that the girls really love. If showering is a must have, the small Zodi battery shower complemented by boiling some water in a fire makes you feel like new.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts