Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the south everyone know that the humidity is outrageous. So while I am still debating spending thousands of dollars on a camper with an air conditioner, I thought I would investigate a portable air conditioner if it works. Any ideas?

I saw one here, but dont know

http://www.kooleraire.com/

Another good reason for the product review section mentioned here....:help:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have never seen a tent airconditioner that had a condenser on it to dehumidify the air.

They all use ice and mist to cool the tent. I don't need any more humidity... I need less!

Here is a review I read when I was looking to buy the same koolaire you mention:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060719050508AAXHXum

If you camp in dry heat... they would probably be perfect!

·
Registered
367 Posts
The research you're doing for this item is what you need. I always go on-line to get the questions answered. Usually, you can find the answers you need. It does take time though. Good luck finding the right air conditioner for you.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's what we had in our garage when we moved in here. It kept the garage cool during the summer. We have a weight set out there. The window air conditioner was perfect. It was an older model, but that didn't matter. They sell them everywhere. I've seen them listed in the paper- the want adds. You could try that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That model that you mentioned cricket is okay for short spells but it is not made for running for long periods.

I am not really sure either about the humidity issue. I think it is jsut cooling and misting not removing the water from the air.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You don't want to add to the humidity problem. I know that you might have to try it and see if it works. If you end up with too much humidity, then get something else. My Grandma had a humidifier on all the time. Because we had dry air.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In the south everyone know that the humidity is outrageous. So while I am still debating spending thousands of dollars on a camper with an air conditioner, I thought I would investigate a portable air conditioner if it works. Any ideas?

I saw one here, but dont know

http://www.kooleraire.com/

Another good reason for the product review section mentioned here....:help:
Probably wouldnt work for a tent for the simple reason that tents breath and the fabric isn't all that good at insulating so all it would do is circulate cool air around the same way a regular old fan would.

I noticed the site doesn't have any description of how it works or diagrams of it, to me it looks like a plastic cover over an ice chest :scratchhead:.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you have a small window unit laying around you could just use some flexible ducting and run it into your tent and bam instant cold
WIN! All you need is a 12volt compressor and fan and whala you have air conditioning for your tent!

Apparently this guy used to sell them.

I used to sell them, trust me, save your pennies and buy a proper one the Koolaire product sucks. It has an effective range of only 7ft and the air is VERY clammy/humid. It's almost like a humidifier that uses cold air. For a space of that size, get a small air conditioner, you can usually pick them up for under 100 bucks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The best I've read about these models is from someone who advised to put a tray of ice in front of a fan before wasting money in this. They may work a little better in dry and low humidity regions, but I don't know of any 12 V AC unit in the market that works as a compressor unit. :no:

You will be better with a small window unit. I have a 5000 BTU unit that works as "portable" for my truck camper. I install it through the camper window before nightfall (can post some pictures later).

In the meantime Check this link for a window unit installed in a camping tent. There is some advice there and a photo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
^ that's creative, are they using an inverter\converter? (I always get the two confused)
The inverters convert 12, 24, and/or 48V DC to 110V AC. Too much for the batteries for a full AC unit. This is also my case, if going to primitive camping I'm left with my Fan-Tastic Roof fan and one tent fan running on the camper batteries.

As promised follow the picts of my humble installation.

I created a base for the AC unit that attach to the window frame and secures to a screw installed in the camper body (inside). Nothing fancy, but all the setting can be installed in a minute.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
^ oh nice, well your camper should have deep cycle batteries and you can always expand your battery bank one battery at a time they're relatively cheap and easy to hook up. One battery a month or every other month and you could have an AC running for a few hours before you run outa juice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the advice!
I have already installed the "supersprings" leafs, but my vehicle also have front and back hitches for bikes and cargo plus the roof racks over the camper.
I'm already into the limits when adding the camping crowd... : )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts