Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here like to hike? We have started hiking with the family. The kids had a lot of fun. We are sticking to beginner and moderate trails. Do you have favorite gear or things that you always bring when you go?

·
Registered
93 Posts
We've hiked and camped at most of the Pa state parks. They have lots of great trails and scenery. We just did Ricketts Glenn state park this past weekend and hiked about 4 miles of the most beautiful waterfalls you will see in Pa. 2 weeks prior to that we went to the Pa grand canyon, about a 1/2 hour from the New York state border just outside of Wellsboro Pa. Wonderful scenery, and this time of year the leaves will be changing colors soon, so we'll be going back for the "fall foliage" hike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have been hiking for years all over the southern U.S. Big Bend National Park, Grand Canyon, and most recently Yellowstone.

I always wear Hiking boots and hiking socks, usually long sleeve shirts and pants, no matter what the temp. Each person should have their own canteen of fresh water and even an energy bar.

I say this because we were at a state park on an easy 1 mile trail that was mis marked. It turned into an 8 hour 15 mile hike with no food or water. Beginner mistake.

In addition, bring a decent camera and maybe a pocket size book on plants and even rocks. Also, learn to recognize the poisonous snakes, and poison oak, ivy, and sumac.

If you are going to hike in areas where misquitos are bad, avoid wearing dark colors, and do not wear cologne or perfume. I try to avoid repellant as much as possible but keep the off handy. Also, bring campho phenique or mentholatum to put on the itchy bites.

Hope this helps

Jack

·
Registered
44 Posts
Forgot to mention, get a Hiking stick for each of you. Helps with the hills and you can get neat nail on pins to commemorate where you have been hiking.

J

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We went on our second hike which was 3.6 miles round trip up a mountain to the firetower. It was absolutely awesome.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love to hike! Unfortunately, there are not too many hiking options in central IL. Took a trip to Arizona last year and did some hiking. I think good hiking shoes can really make or break a hike as Jack said. Others have mentioned good stuff as well. Enough food or snacks depending on the length of your hike can also make it a better experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts