Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm smokey.

I enjoy camping (obviously) however I prefer tenting most of the time over an RV. Though I do like to take the rig out it just feels good to be out in a tent where you can hear everything. I've been camping sense I was a tyke and plan on doing so until I can barely walk, or I get eaten by a bear whichever comes first:shrug:.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Good to meet you. I share the same sentiments as you. The big RV helps get the wife out there, but I am a backpacker so I like to drag a tent where many don't go.

Closest I got to a bear was an early morning sniff out by a small young Black bear while I was in my sleeping bag (no tent) in the Eastern Sierras in California. It mostly startled me, but I had to leap out of my bag to make myself larger and noisier to scare it away. If this was Alaska and it was a Kodiak or Grizzly I would have a different story or..... I wouldn't be alive. I later found out that campers down the ways were feeding this thing which is why he came snooping around other campers looking for food. If I had met up with those campers I know I would be serving time in prison for manslaughter and had no remorse; I was that furious.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to meet you. I share the same sentiments as you. The big RV helps get the wife out there, but I am a backpacker so I like to drag a tent where many don't go.

Closest I got to a bear was an early morning sniff out by a small young Black bear while I was in my sleeping bag (no tent) in the Eastern Sierras in California. It mostly startled me, but I had to leap out of my bag to make myself larger and noisier to scare it away. If this was Alaska and it was a Kodiak or Grizzly I would have a different story or..... I wouldn't be alive. I later found out that campers down the ways were feeding this thing which is why he came snooping around other campers looking for food. If I had met up with those campers I know I would be serving time in prison for manslaughter and had no remorse; I was that furious.
Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one who wants to camp till they drop and our bones turn to dust! Wow, I was in Yosemite once and came across a small bear, he\she took one look and ran luckily for me that is I only had a mountain bike on my shoulder! Ah I feel as you do on that one, let mother nature take its course leave them alone. I am guilty of feeding ducks at the pond every once and a while but that's about it. If it can kill me I stay well clear of it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.