Camper Community Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some input on the type air condition for a camper. What are the pros and cons between a window type unit and the top of the camper type? When I make a decision to purchase a camper it will be 20 ft. or shorter. The thought of it tearing up and being able to just pull it out of the wall and replacing it sounds good but I'm sure there are some cons. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The window units will run on a 20 amp circuit. Top ones are usually 30amp or 50 amp and have a special plug and wiring. A 20 amp circuit can be run of a smaller generator or plugged into your home.

If your window unit breaks you can go to Walmart 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and get a new one. If your roof one goes down you pay $$$ and the replacement/repair takes longer.

After periods of time leaks may develop on the roof were the larger A/C units is mounted.

A 20 foot camper will probably be less than 200 sq feet. You don't need a 30 amp AC to cool that small of an area.

This is how it was mounted in my last camper.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
re: camper AC

Good morning to all-
I can't dispute anything MoGuy said. If you do decide to go with a window unit, please make sure the window frame and wall can support the weight of the unit. Even a very small AC window unit puts stress on the window and frame. Perhaps the best arrangement would be a removable window AC unit that can easily be put in place and then removed and stored when in transit.
I'd prefer to not have/use AC, but we camp on the Gulf Coast, and without AC, you can bake biscuits in a camper by noon most days.
Good day to all- Ed

·
Registered
159 Posts
They're a bit noisier than roof and wall mount units, but a portable air conditioner might be an option. They'll run on a 15 amp circuit and can be set up to drain into a pan or even into the shower drain if you have one. That means you won't have to modify any walls or worry about leaks in the roof. And, like MOguy said, if it breaks you can go to town and buy a new one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We've been using window type units at www.prodrivingschoolmandurah.com.au everytime for as long as I can remember. I completely agree with MOguy is the convenience in buying or having one repaired easily if ever there/s an issue. To be honest, however, I've not used a those 20 ft. ones and can't say anything about them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So far so good, the Vintage windows open up to about 10"x10" so you do get some airflow, the windows have a dark tent so they block the sunlight but can be seen through at night if a light is on inside the trailer, overall I like them and would buy them again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts