Camper Community Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably one of the first questions to ask is what angle from the ground should a solar panel be tilted, to harvest the most energy.
The position of the sun varies over the course of the day and its height above the horizon varies by the position of the panel on the earth and the time of the year.

a solar calculator can provide these numbers given the panels latitude . Google will provide your lattitude if you search for the latitude of the nearest city.
For Colorado Springs, for example this is 38.8 degrees.
Here is a pretty fair site that explains this;

Since I typically camp near this latitude, most of may camping is after jume 21st (summer eqinox) and really don't want to mess around adjusting my panels north & south by varying the tilt angle much I will use 40 degrees as my angle; I know there will be some inefficiencies but I can vary this some by how far I push the stand's legs into the dirt where I am camping (I don't camp on pads, prepared sites or driveways so this won't be much of a problem except in a few desert areas with very little soil thickness. (like Moab Ut. Note; sand dunes provide plenty of soil depth). I DO NOT camp on crytogamic soils.

To help protect the faces of this pair of panels and make them somewhat easiter to carry I will attach them together using piano hinges, suitcase style.

Since MPPT solar controllers are mostly bulky and the bulk need to be minimized for this portable system; I will use a small light weight PWM controller... even thoughit means that some energy/efficiency will not be available..
Since I will be using LiFePo4 batteries I will set the controller to 14 volts.
Since both the solar controller and the battery electronics will limit over current I will not probably install any fuses, although this may change..

To help protect the back of the panels and reinforce their frames a little I will run aluminum crossbars from side to side.
Mostly since I have it in stock, wiring will be done with finely stranded 10 gauge copper wire.
all bolts, nuts & washers will be stainless steel to minimize galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals.
I will attempt to make the legs fold against the panel frames to minimize bulk & packing hassles.

Is there any thing, major, that I am missing or should be considered?

Enjoy!

· Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I need to get to Lowes for some stainless nuts & bolts and to drill the panels cross braces today...
Life keeps interfering...
...sorry!

Enjoy!

· Registered
1 Posts
I think your plan is pretty detailed and hope that it will give you the effect you're looking for. When I was installing my distributed energy network at my country house I was also pretty proper with measurements. I used similar methods of installing and it helped me greatly. We rarely visit this house in colder seasons, but we spend most of our time there in summer. All this time we use no energy but the solar. The house has it for the electricity, to heat the water (we've got two boilers) and sometimes we even heat the pool. It is great thing, which saves us from bills and saves the nature

1 - 3 of 3 Posts